classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

rear lights
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: rear lights Reply with quote

I can't seem to decide on which rear lamps to fit to my MG TC.

Originally there would have been no flashing indicators; just a pair of stop/tail D lamps - in which case separate indicators would need to to be fitted.

As there are apparently no D lamps available with an indicator facility I wonder if the similar sized pork pie lamps might suffice.?

I actually do have a pair of D lamps with a double contact bulb holder that I could fit but I would need to buy a set of amber indicators.

The alternative would be a pair of pork pie lamps with three bulb holders to give stop/tail/indicator combination. These, however nice they may be do look incorrect for the car.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd stick with the D lamps, and fit discrete separate indicators somewhere.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get [get made?] an LED array that will fit inside the D lamp casing..to give you stop/tail and amber indicators? [They ought to show amber through the red lens]....I cannot find my D lamp example currently, so am not sure of internal size.

Alternatively, a standard domed indicator mounted on a rear wing..or alongside /above/below the D lamps...which would 'suggest' a typical upgrade modification conducted during the 1950's?
I would ,personally, refrain from these gucci shiny round lamps....[and especially the Model A repro lights...]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I think I'd stick with the D lamps, and fit discrete separate indicators somewhere.

RJ

AS I already possess the D lamps I am inclined to agree. The TC did have D lamps originally so it also makes sense from that point of view.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Can you get [get made?] an LED array that will fit inside the D lamp casing..to give you stop/tail and amber indicators? [They ought to show amber through the red lens]....I cannot find my D lamp example currently, so am not sure of internal size.

Alternatively, a standard domed indicator mounted on a rear wing..or alongside /above/below the D lamps...which would 'suggest' a typical upgrade modification conducted during the 1950's?
I would ,personally, refrain from these gucci shiny round lamps....[and especially the Model A repro lights...]

My D lamps do not have a divider, instead they rely on a double contact holder for twin filament bulbs. I would need to insert a divider and add the orange LED.

An interesting suggestion. Thanks.
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

It might be worthwhile searching for a clear reverse lamp lens such as fitted to the immediate post war Jags. The lenses on my car are “D” but with a cutout for the lensholder screw. The are mainly white with a 1” red band for the tail lamp.
Perhaps Peter Scott could look in his Lucas catalogue and see if such a beast exists.

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

It might be worthwhile searching for a clear reverse lamp lens such as fitted to the immediate post war Jags. The lenses on my car are “D” but with a cutout for the lensholder screw. The are mainly white with a 1” red band for the tail lamp.
Perhaps Peter Scott could look in his Lucas catalogue and see if such a beast exists.

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo of my D lamp. It is apparent that I would need to reposition the bulb holder to fit a divider. No problem.

PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really helping with your issue but I have recently replaced the guts of my D lamps with the LED panels from Classic dynamo conversions. I am only 6v and I now have rear lights that you can see, proper brake lights and the ammeter doesn't have heart failure when I brake. Wondering if their flashing festoon bulbs intended for semaphores could help you?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
Not really helping with your issue but I have recently replaced the guts of my D lamps with the LED panels from Classic dynamo conversions. I am only 6v and I now have rear lights that you can see, proper brake lights and the ammeter doesn't have heart failure when I brake. Wondering if their flashing festoon bulbs intended for semaphores could help you?

Thanks for your suggestions, Paul. I have decided to leave the D lamps with twin filament bulbs and position LED indicators discretely at the back. At the front, the new side lamps will come with indicators built in.

I have 12 volts and I am considering one of those alternators built into a dynamo body so should in theory at least have more than enough amps.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vehicle of this era can be fitted with flashing brake lamps like the post war minor and MGA had.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
ukdave2002 wrote:
A vehicle of this era can be fitted with flashing brake lamps like the post war minor and MGA had.

The latest MoT manual doesn't show that exemption.
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.3

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does in section 4.4:

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have white front indicators and red rear indicators, if the direction indicators are combined with stop lamps or combined with front or rear position lamps.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.4
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Interesting, I wouldn't read that as meaniing the brake lights can flash just that they can use the same bulb/lamp.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake lights do not flash, just the bulbs when they are used as indicators. A special relay sorts it out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: