classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Do you hang on to too much stuff?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:

My biggest fear was having to move to another place in the future. Luckily I do not see this ever coming because my house, which is too large now that the children have (just) left

A fear I thought of 20 years back when I moved to France. it took an age to find a suitable property, but while we have a mezzanine and bedroom above we live totally on the ground floor. That means that, as old ages bites (and it is starting to) we have eliminated the need to move.

On the subject of magazines, I think I have every copy of Autocar from 1955 to 1980 and Motor Sport from 1955 to 1975. I gave away all my old Octane and C & SC magazines though.
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that I cannot throw things out especially automotive stuff. I even have spares from my Triumph Stag days of thirty years ago. Why? I don't know.

Perhaps it's not such a bad idea though. My daily is a Land Rover Defender 110 pick up and one evening or night last year some kind soul stole my rear bulkhead spare wheel securing clamp. I only found out when the spare wheel fell on to the pick up bed whilst driving - frightened the life out of me!

I dug into one of my "rainy day" boxes and found the spare lower power steering pulley from one of the Stags. As a substitute clamp it works better than the Land Rover original.

Every cloud..................

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a penchant for anything with a thread on it. As a result whenever some item of machinery reaches the end of it's life, I can't seem to resist the temptation to rescue every nut and bolt or washer and add them to my already huge collection of fastenings. I keep everything in labelled containers so I can easily find the right thread for the job; be it UNF, UNC, BSF, Whitworth, Isometric coarse or fine, BA, BSP, BSC, or whatever it may be.

I also hang onto old dashboard switches/knobs especially if they are original Bakelite. At the moment I am on the lookout for a couple of rare Ivory Lucas PS6 switches (There is a ropey one for sale on Ebay at the moment but it is too pricey for what it is). I fancy having of all the dashboard controls and the Brooklands steering wheel on my MG TC in ivory. Don't know why; I must be a bit loopy I suppose. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: