classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Volvo PV544
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to upgrading the indicators, which were slow and very slow (l/r).
I was also worried that when out at night, the front indicators which were a combined bulb in a clear lens sidelight were hardly visible.

I swapped out the indicator unit for an electronic unit, which sorted out the flash rate, and then installed some fancy combination LED's in the front lights, which gave a white sidelight, and an orange flasher.

Original appearance is retained, but performance is much improved and more importantly, safer.
Boring Tucson SUV
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Finally got around to upgrading the indicators, which were slow and very slow (l/r).
I was also worried that when out at night, the front indicators which were a combined bulb in a clear lens sidelight were hardly visible.

I swapped out the indicator unit for an electronic unit, which sorted out the flash rate, and then installed some fancy combination LED's in the front lights, which gave a white sidelight, and an orange flasher.

Original appearance is retained, but performance is much improved and more importantly, safer.

Flashing indicators front and rear - you don't know you're born Wink Smile Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fettled one of the door handles too, to get rid of the droop. It proved not to be the actual latch assembly, although the casing was cracked (I welded it up again) but the spindle bar that projects through it and operates it (rather like a domestic door handle) seemed to be too narrow at the end and therefore turned through quite a few degrees before it actually began to operate the mechanism, and consequently, in the absence of any kind of spring return, drooped sadly when left to its own devices.
The cure was a piece of thin steel, bent around two sides of the spindle, welded into place and then filed back to make it a snug fit. Result... an almost horizontal door handle.
That was the drivers door, I now have to repeat the operation on the passenger door, but will hopefully be able to do this without stripping down the whole thing, this time.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I renewed the front springs and shock absorbers quite a while ago, and had always felt that the car was now slightly let down by the rears which sagged somewhat, especially the nearside, which when measured from ground to wheelarch was a good centimeter lower than its opposite number. This then reacted with the new front springs to bring the front offside corner up slightly.
There was no noticeable effect to the drive, and so I left it for the time being, but recently, there were some creaks and squeaks from the rear when reversing down our sloping drive and so I decided that the time had come to change the rears also.
I had previously purchased a full set of springs from Brookhouse, together with new securing plates and so finally about a week ago, I jacked up the car and starting on the nearside, soaked everything in Plus Gas. The drill is to jack up the body, undo the check strap and shock absorber and let everything dangle, this should enable the top and bottom spring retainers to be removed and the spring just pulls out.
A couple of days later, the top mounting bolt undid nicely, as did the check strap plate. The check strap looked in excellent fettle so I re-used it. The bottom spring retaining plate however, proved difficult. Presumably its cupped shape had retained mud and water over the years and consequently, although still bolted at its centre, the edges had disappeared completely and the whole lot revolved. I deployed spring compressors and managed to wangle the spring out after a few turns to shorten the coil.
It was then an angle grinder job to chop the head off the bolt.
The spring seat of the trailing arm looks a little worn, but still seems solid, but something to be aware of in years to come, although there is no danger of a failure at the moment. I suspect that without proper clamping/retension, the spring has rotated at its lower end under load and has rubbed away at the mount, hence some of the rather creaky noises recently.
The old spring was indeed almost a centimetre shorter than the new one.
Everything went back together okay and I girded myself up for the offside one.
Repeating the process was straightforwards up until I came to inspect the checkstrap. This was unravelling at its bottom end so needs replaceing. Straight back to the computer to order a new one!
However, that's it for the moment, removing the spring gives access to the top fixing of the strap, so there is no point in proceeding to replace the spring before I get the new strap fixed at its top end........watch this space.
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed the suspension change. Both lower retaining plates were rusted away and have been replaced. I haven't taken the car for a spin yet, but the rear end ride height now looks to be be more in line with the various factory shots that I have seen. I now need a couple of medium length runs and then another tighten up of all of the mounting bolts.
Next on the list is a dodgy bobbin type tailpipe mounting that is starting to tear.
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick drive around the houses, shows that the car has firmed up quite a bit and no longer feels as if it is listing into the gutter. Too much damp salt about on the main roads to contemplate a longer run, even though the day is fine and dry, alas. Hopefully we will either have a downpour to wash the roads clear, or the roads will dry out before Sunday, when the St Catherine's Breakfast meet at Lostock Hall is due to take place.

Boring Tucson SUV
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's looking mighty fine Cool Cool

RJ
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove over to the St Catherine's hospice breakfast meet in Lostock Hall, on Sunday. Quite a few cars turned up in spite of the unpromising start to the day, and by ten o clock, we were being rewarded by a sunny morning with just the odd cloud skating across the sky in a fairly brisk breeze. After coffee and a bacon barm in the Mill cafe,and a look round and a catchup with my fellow classic motorists, I took the long route back home afterwards to get a feel for the new suspension setup and to warm through the engine.
The car as ever drove magnificently, is noticeably firmer now and doesn't lean as much in bends. It no longer feels slumped into the gutter. I know that Rick changed the rear shocks in about 2013, and these still seem to be doing the business. There is definitely better ground clearance, the mud flaps no longer rub along the floor when reversing off our fairly steep drive onto the road, and the rather severe speed bump in the St Caths entrance drive seemed to be more easily negotiable without the gentle rub on the silencer box.
There were some nice cars there, a Citroen Traction 'Normale', a beutiifully restored early MGB GT and a 1968 Toyota Crown in immaculate order. Plus the usual selection of MG TF's, a nice Spitfire Mk2 (with a 6 cylinder engine) a couple of Moggy 1000's and an assortment of other more modern classics.
The next meet at the hospice is on January 12th and is worth the trip if it is a half decent day weatherwise.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootled over to the Corner House in the PV on Sunday morning for the first of their breakfast meets. Quite well attended in spite of the temperature (but sunny, which helped).
Mainly post war stuff and almost no open topped cars, perhaps understandably.
Went for a drive around the area afterwards to visit a friend and inspect his 2CV van project.
Suspected that I had a front indicator not working properly and stripped down the fitting when I got back. The two spring loaded prongs that engage with the contacts on the dual filament bulb were both jammed in. I managed to persuade one to resume its springiness, but the other was no go. Consequently the bulb is sloppy in its holder and contact is intermittent.
A search on the net shows that replacement fittings are generally out of stock (probably in quarantine somewhere in China) but I found a kit on line which I have ordered which will hopefully enable me to make a repair. Until then the bulb is wedged into place. Not ideal, but I have no immediate trips planned, until the 15th, when there is a car show at Walton Hall, Warrington.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip down to Higher Walton near Warrington on Sunday (today), where there was a small indoor show of about 40 cars at Walton Hall, organised by the proprietor of the nearby Cycle Museum. Very civilised, out of the weather, with a good cafe next door and the Cycle Museum itself just a short walk away next to the Hall. The journey down was about 30 miles, a bit arduous through Wigan and Warrington towns on the return trip, but the highlight was the ford on the approach to the Golf Club entrance for the show cars. good fun.
Picture shows the initial arrivals, my Volvo included. Quite a few pre war cars for once.

Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turfed the Volvo out of the garage in order to do work on the 2CV which had been isolated in my Daughter's garage for several months, as noted elsewhere on the forum.
One morning my wife came in and said that there was a puddle of something on the drive under the Volvo. I wasn't unduly concerned, the car does drip here and there slightly, but when I eventually got around to having a look, I was initially puzzled. The puddle was quite large and appeared to be under the wheelarch. I looked down through the engine compartment and could see that it was not under the engine or gearbox at all. A quick check of the brake fluid reservoir showed it down about an inch and a crawl underneath revealed a sopping wet master cylinder. Oddly though, the brakes still worked okay.
Obviously a case for a new unit.
Some acrobatics were neeeded to get the old one off and revealed that the large rubber pushrod cover was full of fluid.
I bled the system yesterday, eventually with the help of a vacuum bleeder after a couple of goes trying it with a one man bleed kit (a piece of pipe with a non return valve on one end). My pressure bleeder had last been used on the 2Cv and so was potentially contaminated with LHM, firing up the compressor and hooking up the vac bleeder attachment was a last resort (it's blooming noisy sat in the rear corner of the garage and it was a Sunday).
Fairly successful, it is difficult to tell when all the air is out using a vac, because they tend to draw air in around the bleed nipple so the stuff in the pipe still looks frothy. However, quite a bit of fluid later, the pedal was feeling quite firm....could probably do with adjusting the brakes now! And I have at least changed the fluid in the system.
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Participated in a run yesterday with a couple of friends, all around West Lancs. About fifty miles in all, ending up at a pub (owned by one of the friends, so not open but available for use of loo and a sit in the beer garden).
Baking hot day, and we were treated to some beer that was almost out of sell by date and would otherwise be going down the drain at the weekend.
Nice to be of some use.
Volvo brakes seem okay with a good firm pedal.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volvo has always had a couple of rust bubbles on the bottom of the passenger door, and apart from touching up a couple of times, they haven't had much attention, and in fairness, had never seemed to get any worse. So in the interests of not fixing what ain't broke, I have generally ignored them.
However, I have noticed this year, that the bubbles are spreading, and a couple of rust flakes appeared on the cill when the door was slammed, so I decide to investigate. Taking the door card off revealed some old patching and some rust in the frame, and there has obviously been some work on the door skin in the middle of the bottom seam, although no sign at the moment of a repair panel being used.
Most striking was the lack of any drain holes, the original repairer having , it would appear, had spent some time on the door, but had not thought to drill any holes through the bottom of the frame to let out any accumulated rainwater! The repair is undoubtedly many years old and has been preserved by Waxoil or similar which is present in large quantities, (some added by me), but it has eventually succumbed.
The rather damp perished bottom to the door card is testimony to a fairly lomg term damp environment in that area, and I will have to carefully strip off the padded vinyl covering and cut a new board out of ply, and refit with some kind of protective membrane.
The door is currently on the bench, awaiting a stripdown of the affected area, so that I can decide whether it needs a new repair panel, or whether it is something that I can concoct myself. Then out with the MIG!
Pictures to follow.
Boring Tucson SUV
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Trip down to Higher Walton near Warrington on Sunday (today), where there was a small indoor show of about 40 cars at Walton Hall, organised by the proprietor of the nearby Cycle Museum. Very civilised, out of the weather, with a good cafe next door and the Cycle Museum itself just a short walk away next to the Hall. The journey down was about 30 miles, a bit arduous through Wigan and Warrington towns on the return trip, but the highlight was the ford on the approach to the Golf Club entrance for the show cars. good fun.
Picture shows the initial arrivals, my Volvo included. Quite a few pre war cars for once.
Are you perchance parked next to Mr Taylors 12/4 Coupe?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent episode of Chasing Classic Cars featured a '65 PV544 with 4 miles on the clock - what a find! Original down to the plastic coverings on the seats, and paper covers over the sunvisors.

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: