classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Carfest North 2019
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Carfest North 2019 Reply with quote

I've been trying to get a display spot for the car here for ages, and finally managed it this year. One or two things almost put me off (be in before 8am, can't leave before 7pm for example), but I thought I'd give it a go when I got the chance.

Friday was a decent day, parking next to another Firenza belonging to a club member, in the Vintage Village area of the site.

web_IMGP3457 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

There's a lot there, a lot of food stands, shops, car manufacturer demos (Subaru and Jaguar doing 4x4 skills demos), the main music stages, a couple of arenas usually used for horse events, and of course the track itself. I figure I'll be able to find something to do all weekend.

Track action on Friday is a bit limited as the event doesn't really start until mid-day. But there's a bit going on.

On Saturday, the weather has changed. A couple of days before it was roasting hot, but by Saturday it's started to rain, and it doesn't really stop for very long all day. By the time we can leave, there's a blanket ban on vehicle movements and I don't get out until after 8pm. I leave my parking spot backwards.

web_IMGP3502 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

On Sunday morning, they're a bit surprised I've come back for more. They advise me to park near the concrete road, advice I didn't really need. My car spends the day near some tractors, no-one will see it but at least I'll be able to get out. Just in case, though, I put the board in the window.

web_IMGP3503 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

Part-way through the morning they spread hay on the walkways so the area can be reopened. The entire site by now is a sea of mud, not very deep, but very dirty and very slippery. It's not really worth walking around the place much, as there's so much chance of going over. I spend most of Sunday standing under the Manchester Minis tent.

With better weather, it's probably a good event and plenty to do. I didn't stay for the music, though I did catch a few of the earlier acts as they start at around 4.30pm and can be heard from our spot. As it turned out it was quite frustrating for everyone - traders especially so, but also the various organisers and people given the job of passing bad news on to us. But it's not the first time I've been to a show that turned out this way, and probably won't be the last.

Next job is to wash the car ready for next weekend, and get all the shredded hay off it.

Some other photos from the weekend:

The Scooter club regret picking that spot

web_IMGP3506 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

web_IMGP3508_stitch by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

web_IMGP3511_stitch by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

Wet track doesn't slow everyone down

web_IMGP3482 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

... and doesn't stop some burning rubber

web_IMGP3501 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

web_IMGP3496 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

web_IMGP3408 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

Pity it wasn't like this all weekend

web_IMGP3353 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Mike, I was wondering how things were going over there as we hid under brollies yesterday.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trouble with these outdoor events - the weather! Every time our neighborhood has an outdoor event (street fair, around the harbor music, etc) you can depend on it it will end in rain. So sorry for the organisers.

Liked your before and after pics of your car!
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh Seeing your post makes miss my Firenza 😞
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: