classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

using an American 6Volt coil in a Morris 8/40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ron from Oz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: using an American 6Volt coil in a Morris 8/40 Reply with quote

I am currently restoring a Morris 8/40 from the ground up. Although most parts came with the car, in various boxes, some are missing and some no longer work. My question for this topic is - I have recently purchased a Goss 6 V coil and am a bit stumped as to which poles to attach the leads coming from the regulator and to the distributor. The old coil was self explanatory as the SW and CB poles were clearly identified as per wiring diagram, but the new one only says + or - on the poles. The car is a +ve earth model and I was going to leave it at that - however I have no idea which pole is which in relation to the old system as shown on the wiring diagram. Any help please.
Ron
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the coil will work, no matter which way around the wires are connected. One way will possibly give a slightly better result, but either will work.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron

It does matter which way round a coil is fitted, fitted the wrong way looses about 20% of a coils potential, which on a 6v ignition is significant.

The marking of coils + & -ve is a far clearer way than marking sw & cb. As you car is +ve earth the switch side (sw) needs to be -ve on your new coil.

Had you picked up a coil marked sw & cb that was meant for a -ve earth car you would have fitted it incorrectly.

Dave
Ron from Oz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: American 6 v coil Reply with quote

Thanks guys. back to the loom for the next puzzle!
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the year of your 8/40? I had a 1939 Series E many years ago and had quite a bit of fun touring in it.
Ron from Oz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Morris 8/40 Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
The car is a 1948 series E. Its proving to be an interesting job as I have never had or worked on a car with a chassis. My first car in 1973 was a Citroen Light 15- a cool car, these days quite hard to get hold of one at a sensible price.
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: