classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after 10 years restoration we finally got the Commer to a show. Such a lot of work and hassle in the last week or two.
It didn't go to plan.
Around every 5 miles she cooked up!?! The 30 miles to the show took around 3 hours with many stops. It got worse when we entered Taunton and we hit 5 red lights in a row, not good news for a lorry thats already boiling up.
In the end we got her there which was some achievment, the way home tomorrow night will be a similar affair but at least we will be in no rush.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
So, after 10 years restoration we finally got the Commer to a show. Such a lot of work and hassle in the last week or two.
It didn't go to plan.
Around every 5 miles she cooked up!?! The 30 miles to the show took around 3 hours with many stops. It got worse when we entered Taunton and we hit 5 red lights in a row, not good news for a lorry thats already boiling up.
In the end we got her there which was some achievment, the way home tomorrow night will be a similar affair but at least we will be in no rush.

shame after all the hard work, was it west som railway show?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the West Somerset Railway Rally. Nice show, a lot of cars there today.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Yes, the West Somerset Railway Rally. Nice show, a lot of cars there today.

have not been for years, maybe next year
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Firenza to Llangollen yesterday, and the Sportshatch today. Both generally went OK, but I've come back with two jobs for the hatch - the heater valve doesn't quite close, so the heater is always a little bit warm (not ideal for this weather), and the speedometer has packed up altogether. It's been doing the old "anywhere between 0 and 90" flickering, while the odometer has been fine, now neither work.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the car to the Biggar show today. Light rain most the way going. Heavy rain from lunchtime onwards and some puddles covering half the road on the way home. The weather forecast proved to be very accurate. Sad
Peter

Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a shame to have rain loke that for the show. Its not been too good anywhere this week.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Such a shame to have rain loke that for the show. Its not been too good anywhere this week.

We were out and about today too, the forecast was abysmal but in reality we got away with a couple of light showers .. very lucky.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were due to go to a rally in Grange over Sands yesterday, but the organisers cancelled due to the state of the field. We then considered Stonyhurst, a bit closer up the Ribble valley, but again, heavy rain and a call to someone local suggested that this could well be an ordeal as well....so we reconvened with a few other hardy souls at St Catherines, which holds its events on a tarmac car park.
I took the Volvo, it is watertight and the windscreen wipers are more effective than the Citroen.
Boring Tucson SUV
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whipped the dashboard out of the Sportshatch earlier in the week, to sort out the speedometer. That had a similar issue to one I'd repaired ready to swap, so I did the same fix and that all seems to be OK, though I haven't road tested it.

While I had the dash out, I thought I'd pull out the dash backlighting lamp holders and clean out the inside of the coloured lenses, to try to brighten things up a bit. Unfortunately these clip through holes in a plastic circuit board, and the copper tracks for two of the lamps split and fell off. I messed around trying to fix them for a while, then gave up and swapped the circuit from a spare dash.

Everything now seems to work, but when I ran the car yesterday the fuel gauge is reading just over half a tank, which is quite a bit higher than it was before I swapped the circuit board. I hope this means that it has better connections and is now correct, but I'll have to see if I can get a camera down the filler neck and get an idea of what's in there. I carry a can of fuel anyway, but I don't want to have to stop to use it as I know it'll be in the most inconvenient spot. And I don't want to keep adding fuel, because I know there's a bit of a weep at the top end of the tank that I was meaning to fix over winter and didn't.
scott_budds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been ages since I last posted over here.

Still got the Esprit. Most of the work has been keeping on eye on things.

Shes gone through the MOT each year with only one issue a couple of years back where the bulb in the fog light switch had gone. Was a bit of a nightmare getting the switch (I think its a Triumph TR item) out and then back in again.

Ive been really enjoying driving with the large glass roof removed. It fits in a bag and just about fits in the boot as long as you dont have much else stored in there!

buddsy
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took our 1937 Hillman to a car meet at Thornfalcon, near Taunton. About a 25 mile drive each way for us. The car drove very well and was really nice to get her out of the garage after all the bad weather over the last month or so!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to risk the fuel gauge in the hatch, and not put any extra in for Tatton Park. It seems like the problem was before rather than now, in that it got there and back without any trouble, and the gauge has dropped to a level that I'd expect after a ~50 mile round trip. We had a decent stand, and managed three Sportshatches, a number not seen for some time up here.

The Firenza is obviously feeling left out, despite being there on Saturday and me buying it a nice new cover. When I got back to it to move things around in the shed, the starter is now making a clicking noise, as if it's turning before the solenoid throws the gear out. So I'll have to remove that, when I had planned to try to sort out the speedometer drive on the other one. Hopefully something just needs cleaning. It starts, but only after making a bit of a noise.
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Took our 1937 Hillman to a car meet at Thornfalcon, near Taunton. About a 25 mile drive each way for us. The car drove very well and was really nice to get her out of the garage after all the bad weather over the last month or so!

glad to see you made it ok, we did not see you though
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a walk about, there were so many there. Ended up chatting most of the time and not wandering about! We did see you drive out the field, we were parked in one of the rows nearer the exit gate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 39 of 119

Jump to: