classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the starting issue on the Firenza, happily it was nothing more than the wire from the starter switch hanging off the terminal on the starter motor. So as a reward I tucked it up in its new cover.

I've also figured out why the speedometer stopped working in the hatch - because the speedo cable inner has snapped. I didn't think it had, but it turns out that it's frayed, and the frayed bits were holding it in place and it took quite a pull to get it out. Now I'm trying to source a replacement, failing that I'll get on to Speedograph and get one made.
Mog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the starter motor is making a clicking noise , check the battery and state of battery . Worn , bad contacts in the solenoid ????

Forget that , I now see the problem has been fixed . Missed the change of page .
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I spent (or wasted, depending on your point of view) some time on Monday reading up on how to strip and rebuild the starter motor anticipating some sort of issue with cleanliness or wear, only to find that it was just a hanging connector. In fact it was only the plastic insulator around the terminal that was holding it onto the starter.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest and I had a look round our 55 Minx this morning, got as far as stripping the seized engine a couple of years back and buying up the spares to rebuild it. Now our Commer lorry is finished we are going to spend some time getting the engine back together.

My son is 7 and is very keen to help on this one, its good to have one of the kids interested.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made the 40 mile trip down to Watchet for the WSR 1940's weekend, we took our 1937 Hillman 80. Lovely day, lovely weather and we got to take Winston Churchill round the town!
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that the front number plate was wonky. Turned out it (aluminium number plate) had rattled through the fixing screws and was just hanging on. If I had not noticed I would have lost it in the next run I think. Fixed it with some larger washers. Hope it wil be good for the next 25 years Very Happy

Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To understand this tale of woe I have to take you back to yesterday, when I managed to obtain a very usable steel filing cabinet in Newport for the grand sum of £15 and wangle it into the modern to fetch it back up the valley. Now I don't want said filing cabinet at home, but in a storage unit I have about 3 miles away. As it was dark by the time I came back up yesterday, and there's no electricity at my storage, I figured I'd leave it in the car and take it up there today.

This afternoon, then, I was doing routine checks on the modern, parked on the front street where it's level. The oil wanted topping up a little, but in removing the oil cap I managed to fumble the damn thing which rattled and bounced around before finally coming to rest lodged in the front suspension, out of sight and out of reach. I tried rocking the car on its springs, I tried rolling it back and forth, but in the end I realised the only way to retrieve the cap would be to raise the car and remove the wheel.

Of course with that damned filing cabinet in the back I couldn't get at the car's own tools, I didn't want to take it out as I doubt my ability to get it back in again without assistance. I had to go and get a scissor jack - no room for a trolley jack as it was the kerb side - and a brace and a roll of old carpet and by the time I'd finished, put everything away and washed all the filth from my hands a simple 5 minute job had taken a good hour... Rolling Eyes
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sand blasting the TC rear springs. After achieving quite a good finish on a couple of leaves I began to feel that something wasn't quite right. On closer examination I discovered that there were 8 leaves on the near side but only 6 on the off side.

With a critical eye it became apparent that these springs were not very good. Apart from the rust the bolts in the holding clips had worn half way through and also deep grooves in the leaves themselves. Also one of the clip rivets had broken off.

I decided to bite the bullet and order two new rear springs. When I get the springs I shall probably separate the leaves and grind the ends smooth. I shall probably also add some more grease if they need it.

As a general rule a stiff spring will need a soft damper. By the same token a soft spring will need stiffer dampers. I have given mine to an expert for overhauling. As there is no adjustment on the Girling Luvax lever shocks - and the springs are usually quite stiff - I am not sure how best to tune the rear suspension.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about PTFE tape between the leaves?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
What about PTFE tape between the leaves?

You can get specially made tape for leaf springs. It probably does the same job as grease but has the advantage of cleanliness.

I have only found this stuff in the States :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leaf-Spring-Liner-with-Lip-1-3-4-Inch-White/264459749577?hash=item3d930788c9:g:-GQAAOSwKpddds-d
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful day yesterday so I clocked-up a few tens of miles around the many back roads of East Lothian and Midlothian. The SS ran very nicely but coming back into town I got stuck in a queue caused by roadworks and on eventually drawing away from this she fluffed a bit and I'm assuming this was due to vapourisation so I sent off for some exhaust pipe insulation. Not for wrapping the exhaust but I thought I'd try wrapping the fuel line to insulate it.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.funkmotorsport.com/product/silver-velcro-heat-sleeving/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwt5zsBRD8ARIsAJfI4Bis_pMTxXFXc_RMUv_hKFNzqWxN-7Y74vC31sgVFKIf2me-tLJ1SPEaAk3LEALw_wcB

Just one example of specialized heat sleeving for fuel lines....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alastair,

Without being certain about the cause of my fluffing I think I'm safer to spend £4 rather than £90.

Peter
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Hi Alastair,

Without being certain about the cause of my fluffing I think I'm safer to spend £4 rather than £90.

Peter

I once lashed up something effective from old jiffy bags and kitchen foil... Laughing
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welded a bit more inner sill into one of them, and discovered that another is leaking water. It's had a weep on one of the cylinder head core plugs for a while, which I've been putting off because it means removing the inlet manifold and those small core plugs are a pain to do. But it looks as if it's decided that enough is enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 40 of 119

Jump to: