classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brooklands, 8th December 2007
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Brooklands, 8th December 2007 Reply with quote

Well it was a cold, very very wet and very windy day at Brooklands today, but still had a good time! Sorry if some photos aren't too good, was almost constantly wiping the lens of my camera dry from the rain. I have larger size copies of all of these if anyone is interested.

Thought i'd start off with a bit of scene setting

Sat in a corner of the car park is this glass sided car sized display case, containing the chassis of the 1936 Mercedes record breaking (can't remember the record, it was fairly obscure from what I do remember) car

In the paddock there were a lot of 1950s/60s/70s era airline liveried vehicles, and these are just three of them. Must admit I have no idea what any of them are, except the middle one which I think is a Bedford CA?

1914 Bugatti

Replica of a 1921 Wolseley Moth, a curious looking little fat cigar shaped racer

Bentley 4 1/2 litre Le Mans

Can't see it too well, but behind the doors is a 1904 Siddeley, the oldest surviving Siddeley

Fairly ugly looking Salmson racer

1900 Peugeot

1910 AC Sociable electric car

A very, very nice Edwardian Napier with fantastic bodywork

1904 Cadillac

The famous Napier Railton record holder

1931 Whitney Straight Duesenberg

Had to get a picture of this miniature Frazer Nash, looked spot on!

Ridley Special remake - the square air intake on the front hasn't been added yet, and presumably never will be

Two of the three 1922 Vauxhall TT's are at Brooklands, this is one of them, but in it's later modified state as a Vauxhall Villiers (after the Villiers supercharger)

Nice model of Percy Lambert's record breaking Darracq

Brough Superior in the motorcycle section. To be honest, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the 'bicycles at Brooklands' section, so no photos of that bit!

The first thing you see in the Grand Prix exhibition is these three Aston Martins

1923 Aston Martin Halford special

1923 Aston Martin Razorblade special

A proper local car - a Riley Brooklands

The gorgeous Vauxhall TT racer of 1922

Garage scene featuring an MG

Jowett van

BMC Refueller

Pre-WW2 aircraft refueller
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo's Rob.

Must admit I didn't realise there was so much there.

Dave
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to change all the time to be honest - the last two times I went many many years ago as a kid I was slightly dissapointed that there weren't many pre-WW2 racing cars there, but that seems to have changed - photos i've seen on the web from earlier this year show cars not there today such as 'Babs' and a 4wd Miller, both of which i'd have loved to have seen
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will send you a PM.

Looks like a really fun place, could spend days in there!

Even a Penny Farthing to ride around the track on! hehe

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Rob. The other vans in the photo were a Thames 300E (lhs) and a Bedford HA (rhs). I think Babs usually lives in the small museum at Pendine Sands in South Wales, so perhaps was on temporary display at Brooklands earlier in the year? I certainly saw it at Pendine 3 or 4 years ago, where of course it had its fatal crash and was buried on the beach for many decades.

Some cracking old racers, I think the replica of the Wolseley Moth was erindoors' favourite out of that little lot. The Napier Railton is a mighty impressive beast too though.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: