classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

Introductions thread - say hello and introduce yourself :-)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All Other Cars & Vehicles.
Tech12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D4B & Thanks for the welcome.

Andy
DanH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I'm Daniel, I'm 28 years old and live in Helensville New Zealand. Currently on the search for a Morris 8 Series E. I stumbled across this forum a couple of months back and have found it a fantastic resource! Especially the Morris section. Have learnt a lot about the 8 in the last little while thanks to reading the threads here.

Cars I have owned in the past include a '62 Triumph Herald Coupe, 72 Morris Minor pickup and a 1971 VW 411L Variant.

Cheers!
Geoffp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back! Formerly Alfanut of this parish I have been away for some time as various other things such as moving house have got in the way, but now I'm settled down again and am back with a new username, thanks to Rick for sorting the details out for me.

I haven't found a suitable classic car yet, but I am quite involved with Aldridge Transport Museum where we have an interesting collection of old buses and commercial vehicles, mainly with a West Midlands connection, which keeps me in touch and fairly busy, so I hope to be able to contribute a bit from now.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffp wrote:
I'm back! Formerly Alfanut of this parish I have been away for some time as various other things such as moving house have got in the way, but now I'm settled down again and am back with a new username, thanks to Rick for sorting the details out for me.

I haven't found a suitable classic car yet, but I am quite involved with Aldridge Transport Museum where we have an interesting collection of old buses and commercial vehicles, mainly with a West Midlands connection, which keeps me in touch and fairly busy, so I hope to be able to contribute a bit from now.

Good to have you back around here again Geoff, any chance of photos from the Museum sometime?

RJ
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
The Aldridge doesn't appear in the museums list on the main site.
http://www.amrtm.org

Geoff if you are into Buses as well are you aware of
http://www.sct61.org.uk/

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Geoffp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome (back) Rick, I will try and get some photos up when I can get my camera to talk to my computer. Sad

I've seen that site Penman, but so far have only dipped into it, bus enthusiasts can sometimes be a bit nerdish, even by my standards Smile
nokia2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. My name is Ştefan (Ş = sh, as in sharp) or Steven if you preffer. I'm from Romania and I'm a native Bucharester (meaning I live in the capital since the day I was borned). I do have from around the age of 10-11 an interest in old vintage cars (steam locomotives... I like them from an early age). Untill the "increase of standard of living" you could see in Romania is use car from the '60's, even capitalistic ones like "Mercedes" W110 (fintail), "Opel" Rekord P2, "F.I.A.T." 1800. There where some "Peugeot" 404 (this where made in the '70's too), but I didn't seen one runing. Most of the car went to scrap after 2000-2002 Sad

I got now a specific interest in very old British cars (and hope to get at least one) because of one thing: the preselector (Wilson) gearbox. Heared of it around 1998-2000 from a documentary on Discovery Chanel - in a episode of what I don't remember what British brand. Forgot about it untill last year. And then bang, the gerabox perfect for me. It's almost virtually unknown in Romania. It isn't mention on the books that I've seen. And when I complained about the gear change pattern to an engineer he didn't mentioned it... I hate this lack of education.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokia2010 wrote:
Hello. My name is Ştefan (Ş = sh, as in sharp) or Steven if you preffer. I'm from Romania and I'm a native Bucharester (meaning I live in the capital since the day I was borned). I do have from around the age of 10-11 an interest in old vintage cars (steam locomotives... I like them from an early age). Untill the "increase of standard of living" you could see in Romania is use car from the '60's, even capitalistic ones like "Mercedes" W110 (fintail), "Opel" Rekord P2, "F.I.A.T." 1800. There where some "Peugeot" 404 (this where made in the '70's too), but I didn't seen one runing. Most of the car went to scrap after 2000-2002 Sad

I got now a specific interest in very old British cars (and hope to get at least one) because of one thing: the preselector (Wilson) gearbox. Heared of it around 1998-2000 from a documentary on Discovery Chanel - in a episode of what I don't remember what British brand. Forgot about it untill last year. And then bang, the gerabox perfect for me. It's almost virtually unknown in Romania. It isn't mention on the books that I've seen. And when I complained about the gear change pattern to an engineer he didn't mentioned it... I hate this lack of education.

Welcome to the forum, 1930s-1950s Daimlers and Lanchesters usually came with pre-selector gearboxes fitted, as did pre-war Rileys.

RJ
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Ştefan,

The preselector gearboxes are certainly interesting although more complex than conventional cog shifting types. I've never driven one but the concept of being able to anticipate a gear change and then to use a quicker mechanism to action the change is very attractive. I have driven cars with overdrive and they are a delight to use. They also suffer the same weakness of reliance on small clutches that can give trouble in older, high mileage cars.

https://www.vorwahlgetriebe.de/the-wilson-preselector-gearbox/?L=1

https://classicmotorhub.com/blog/learning-to-drive-a-pre-selector-gearbox-in-the-lanchester-ld10/

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/library/wilsonpreselector.htm

RJ
nokia2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all those sites, since I made quite a "Google" research about them.
Learning to drive a preselector is more simple then a classical manual. The gearboxes may be of more complicated solution then of the classical gerabox (at least in bulding it), but they are harder to be destroy by an unexperienced driver.
I never understood why they never took off.

But I do have one curiosity: at a preselector gearbox car can you alter the position of the comnand of the pedals, meaning the brake to be on the right and the acceleration on the middle?
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the question of pedals will depend very much on the individual design of the car.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All Other Cars & Vehicles. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Page 36 of 36

Jump to: