classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

History
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
tolley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: History Reply with quote

Any advice on finding the history of my car , I can go back till the start of computerised mot I know the first reg date ,but that's it.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the DVLA, but from my experience you will need a very good reason for asking. Simply owning the car is not enough.
I wanted to know about my previous Range Rover, as I had found four others with the same colour and spec and almost consecutive reg numbers. I simply wanted to know if they had been a fleet order, but DVLA refused.
They had been supplied by HR Owen, so I tried them, but they also refused on privacy grounds!
I never did find it's story.
tolley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive have sent a email to landrover classic department to see if they can help , I will keep you informed on there response .
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately the days where you could fill in a V888 and get copies of all your old V5s and the original application for registration are gone. The DVLA quote the new GDPR regulations, and the fact that those previous owners haven't given their express consent for their details to be shared.

I got copies of all the old V5s for my two Vauxhalls, and I did try writing to all the people who used to own my Sportshatch, and got no replies. Probably most of them have moved by now. I've never tried with the Firenza, but I have met two of its previous owners by accident, at shows.

I think to an extent GDPR is the new "health and safety" - an excuse to not do stuff, based on complex legislation that most people will just accept. Large companies and government bodies have to have a GDPR policy, and the easiest thing is to just say no to everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: