classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restarting a long dead engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
MattF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Restarting a long dead engine Reply with quote

10 or 11 years ago I was gifted my morris 8. It had been parked up for 11 years before that by the owner who then decided she needed a modern car with a heater.
I put oil in the engine, gearbox and diff plus half a teaspoon of engine oil down each cylinder. Then hooked her up behind dads car and instructed him to pull me around the block in gear until it started.
I may have been lucky in that I’ve not really had many issues since.
So now ive got an Austin 10 which hasn’t driven in god knows how long and I’m eager to make sure I don’t risk causing problems by doing it the same as I did with my morris. How do I clean out the sludge I’m sure I’ll find in the engine? Obviously I’ll take the sump off and clean that out but are there any other parts that I can clean? Oil lines to the bearings etc?
Any advice would be welcome 🙂
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get flushing oils for cleaning engines, though I personally would thoroughly clean the sump then fill with cheap a cheap detergent oil then after running the engine for 100 miles or so drain and change for a good quality oil designed for old cars .

Morris 8 two seater
Mog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to take the sump off . You are only doing more work than you need to . Just flush the engine as other people have said . Use fresh petrol it has more kick !
MVPeters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it DRF 155, my first car, 1936 ? !
Yes, just do a couple of quick oil changes, no need for 'flushing' oil.
You'll probably need to strip & clean the carb, file the points & plugs etc..
Then stock up on head gaskets; the odd middle bolt can be replaced with a stud & nut.
I have a Pitman's Book of the Austin Ten 1932-47 if you need it.
My favourite classic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: