classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were mine I think I might try a coat of high temperature clear lacquer, they look to good to paint but would deteriorate to quickly left unprotected.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
If they were mine I think I might try a coat of high temperature clear lacquer, they look to good to paint but would deteriorate to quickly left unprotected.

Hello Alan.

I didn't know you could get a "high temperature" lacquer. I shall have to look out for some.

As a temporary fix I have just applied some polish.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May work on your brake drums

Dinitrol Corroheat 4010 Clear High Temperature Wax Laquer (500ml)

£19.00

Maintain an immaculate engine bay with Dinitrol Corroheat 4010 – Clear Wax Treatment, a heat resistant, corrosion prevention giving a hard, transparent, protective, dry film.

In stock

Morris 8 two seater
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another that may do the job

E-Tech XHT extreme high temperature lacquer.
Developed using the latest advances in paint technology - XHT is designed for use on surfaces that are exposed to extremely high temperatures.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan. I have ordered some XHT lacquer.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing the results

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
I look forward to seeing the results

I hope there will be no change! Wink
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We moved the Hillman 80 from our garage down to the big shed this morning, moved her into the space vacated by the Karrier. We started moving some shelving and thats when it went wrong! A wooden shelf slipped and almost took the tips off two of my fathers fingers!
I took him straight to A&E where after only a short wait he had to have stitches.
Future rule in the shed, any moving of boxes or re-arranging of shelving etc will require gloves! I think we may even put up a notice on the wall as we seem to keep forgetting simple things like this.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We moved the Hillman 80 from our garage down to the big shed this morning, moved her into the space vacated by the Karrier. We started moving some shelving and thats when it went wrong! A wooden shelf slipped and almost took the tips off two of my fathers fingers!
I took him straight to A&E where after only a short wait he had to have stitches.
Future rule in the shed, any moving of boxes or re-arranging of shelving etc will require gloves! I think we may even put up a notice on the wall as we seem to keep forgetting simple things like this.

Ouch, could have been very nasty.

It reminds me of once I was underneath a running engine, to see if I'd cured a leak from the rear of the sump. I had a rag with me, and was wiping a few older oil marks from around the sump, when the rag was sucked into the bellhousing by the spinning flywheel that was visible through a small access hole. Naturally my hand went with it momentarily, enough to lob the corner of my RH little finger off. That stung somewhat, fortunately it grew back ok but it was a stark reminder to be careful. It took a while to fish out the remains of the rag too, which had gone around with the flywheel until it locked the engine. The rag hangs in the garage as a stark reminder ...

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:

I share your frustration at what seems to be an inevitable part of getting older, ie; forgetting to take precautions that in years gone by you would take as a matter of course.

The other day I thought I would bend back a bracket on the TC chassis. I knew there was a possibility that it would snap off but for some reason I just bent it back without a thought. Of course it snapped off... and I whacked my finger. It could have been worse but fortunately I was just in pain for a few hours.

I welded the bracket and took all the necessary precautions. It's when you don't know you have a memory problem that you have a problem,,,if you know what I mean.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My automotively-created injuries have only been exceeded recently by washing up injuries..

When asked if I'd been i hospital for anything recently, I had to reply, only to get bits sewn up, or stitched back on....not been ill at all...

Anyone noticed how, as we get older, how easily we leave huge gobs of blood all over the workbench, engine bay,,,,and paint doesn't stick to dried blood?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the choke mechanism back on the car today. I've had this in pieces to see if it was causing the problem with the car being difficult to start after it has stood for a few weeks. I've swapped the disc inside the choke for one that has larger holes than the original, and cleaned it all up of course. I re-fitted it earlier in the week but it leaked petrol as it was difficult to get onto the screw heads, but I've done it again today and it seems OK.

I tried to start the car, and it started reasonably easily, a big improvement as it hasn't run for about 3-4 weeks. However, when I first re-fitted the choke I tried to start it for a while, so that might have influenced things. I now have to leave it a few more weeks and try it again. I've also fitted a replacement choke cable as the original one was very stiff, so it's easier to make small adjustments to how much choke to apply, even though the design of the choke means there are only really three settings.

As someone on here mentioned it, I did remove the engine earth strap to check that I'd removed some paint to help conductivity, and I had. I gave it a bit of a clean though.

While the trim panel was out, I also cleaned some contacts that were stopping the lighter socket and illumination from working. I must get the sat-nav bracket made now I'll be able to plug it in.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father is 73 now and is so accident prone, first thing my wife usually asks when we get back from the yard is if my Dad's ok.

It is the 3rd time we have taken him to A&E from injuring himself with the vehicles. We both need to be more careful.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We started moving some shelving and thats when it went wrong! A wooden shelf slipped and almost took the tips off two of my fathers fingers!

Hope all is well with your father.
Regarding "moving some shelving" - it seems half of all time spend in the garage is by cleaning up the work place, finding new spaces, making new shelves and moving things around.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were actually looking at raising the level of our large racking to the next rung position, in doing so our Commer lorry could be moved back a further 4 ft in the shed creating more room for work in front.
We had done the hard work in completely clearing boxes from the shelf.

Fathers OK, I have text him this morning. If it were left to him he would have just wrapped a dirty old piece of tissue round his fingers and tried to get on with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 50 of 119

Jump to: