classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When installing the new camshaft I encountered a small problem.

It wasn't until the bearings were fitted and the camshaft installed that I realised there must be a part missing. Looking at an exploded diagram of the engine I realised that there needs to be a cir-clip by the rear bearing to stop the shaft from moving about. There is no mention of this cir-clip in three workshop manuals that I have and the new camshaft came without one fitted and no instructions to advise me that one must be fitted before installation. There is also no mention of it anywhere on Internet forums etc....although this little part is available for sale through the Octagon Club or Moss.

The most annoying thing is that I didn't notice my mistake until after I had plastered the shaft with 'Graphine' lube so it was a filthy task to take it out.

It was a fairly simple case of removing the cir-clip from my old camshaft and fitting it to the new one...then reassemble. Embarassed

Notice the groove for cir-clip.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the E-type for a run the other day and it was missing, jerking and backfiring. Got it home, sat and thought a while and couldn't really understand why, what with it having a 123 dizzy, new leads and so on, so I started with the carbs and found that all three dash pots were bone dry. Now I've had the car nearly 39 years now, and the last time I had this problem was in 1991 on a long two week rally in the south of France so very hot weather and the symptoms were totally different, the car not dropping to 700 at idle. Anyway, I topped them up and she is running perfectly, so all is well, but I am somewhat puzzled still.
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar symptoms with a friend's Triumph 2000 with twin carbs, many years ago. A top up transformed things.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Took the E-type for a run the other day and it was missing, jerking and backfiring. Got it home, sat and thought a while and couldn't really understand why, what with it having a 123 dizzy, new leads and so on, so I started with the carbs and found that all three dash pots were bone dry. Now I've had the car nearly 39 years now, and the last time I had this problem was in 1991 on a long two week rally in the south of France so very hot weather and the symptoms were totally different, the car not dropping to 700 at idle. Anyway, I topped them up and she is running perfectly, so all is well, but I am somewhat puzzled still.

I am also a bit puzzled to read your description of the car mis firing. As I am sure you know, the oil acts as a piston damper and by restricting rapid movement on full throttle gives temporary enrichment thus improving throttle response. You may want to have the carbs serviced. New rubber seals should help prevent the loss of dash pot oil in future.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now turned my attention to the oil pump.

On the XPAG engine, the oil pump is an antiquated design; being mounted externally with the pick up in the sump. The main disadvantage with this design is that the pump is fed unfiltered oil and as a result wears rapidly.

The driven gear operates on a spindle and as there was wear on it's upper surface I was tempted to turn it round so as to present the unworn section to the top... but in the end I decided to invest in a new one to go with the new gears.
The spindle is an interference fit in the block and is removed utilising an M8 x 1mm (mad metric) bolt with a tube and washers as a pulley.

One mistake a previous owner made was to fit a gasket between the pump body and it's head. There should be none. There needs to be a gasket between the body and the block and I will fit a new one there and also to the union of the feeder pipe to the filter. Interestingly, there are three different lengths of 6mm bolts. To prevent leaks from these bolts there are 8 special seals.

I am determined that my engine will be oil tight; that is quite ambitious considering there are so many weak points with external pipework etc.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I sent the carbs to Burlen five years back for a complete overhaul, so it can't be that. And while she doesn't do the mileage she used to, I have put on 8,000 with the renewed carbs, all without any problem. Maybe the heatwave last year dried out the oil, but I am fumbling in the dark here. Whatever, on the basis of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I shall just carry on driving in complete ignorance I guess. I wondered if the petrol had gone stale over the last few months, but it smelt alright and I put £50 in just in case. Happy motoring!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Ray, I sent the carbs to Burlen five years back for a complete overhaul, so it can't be that. And while she doesn't do the mileage she used to, I have put on 8,000 with the renewed carbs, all without any problem. Maybe the heatwave last year dried out the oil, but I am fumbling in the dark here. Whatever, on the basis of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I shall just carry on driving in complete ignorance I guess. I wondered if the petrol had gone stale over the last few months, but it smelt alright and I put £50 in just in case. Happy motoring!

At least you are using the car. I can't remember the last time I saw an E Type being driven. It seems a shame to see such a wonderful vehicle being towed around on a trailer. Jaguars were made to be driven and I salute you for doing your bit. Wink
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, she's used alright Ray. 125,000 miles since I bought her in 1982 and still going. It's looking good outside today for February (15C and light cloud) so I'll probably take her to the golf club and then a run around the back lanes. Use it or lose it! I'd give the XKSS arun but she has no seats at the moment. The leather has cracked and split so they are at a trimmers for new leather to be glued inside so I don't lose the patina. He'll also feed the leather to get some suppleness back and put new foam in. They are like planks after 30 years!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had trouble before now - which hasn't recurred - with the oil disappearing from the dashpots on SU carbs and causing poor running. I think the garage elves suck it out when they can't find any pliers or half inch spanners to steal... Smile
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you have garage elves as well do you, mine don't steal things they just hide them especially when I'm in the middle of a job I put things down and they snatch them away and hide them then it takes ages to find them again.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
Ah, you have garage elves as well do you, mine don't steal things they just hide them especially when I'm in the middle of a job I put things down and they snatch them away and hide them then it takes ages to find them again.

Funny thing, today I have just spent ages looking for a new tappet chest gasket. I just don't believe it; I have looked everywhere (well obviously not everywhere!)and I know I have bought one. I even checked my orders to be certain. It's not even a small item (about 18" x 4") so I must have garage Goblins which are quite nasty little gits.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hHi
Q:
Why is a lost item always in the last place you look?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
hHi
Q:
Why is a lost item always in the last place you look?

A: Because you didn't look there first.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the E-type out for a quick run last week, leaving the garage open. it is 150 yds in the forest so I thought all would be well for a quick run and a top up of jungle juice. But, on my return, my Draper socket set was open and the socket drive was missing as was one of the large sockets. Bizarre; why would someone want to steal just that and not just pick up the whole set? So, I've had to buy another after 30 years of good service. I know all my neighbours and two of the four wouldn't know which end to use, and the other would have no use for a 1/2" drive. Kids I guess.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent the morning clearing more space in the shed, the plan is to still squeeze our 55 Minx in somehow. We have learnt our lessons though injury wise! We both now wear good gloves and steel yoe cap shoes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 52 of 119

Jump to: