classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Water in the Cylinders
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that the coolant should be visible at the top of a conventional radiator. It needs to cover the top of the radiator tubes or presumably, there's no flow through the system.
& does it matter if the expansion tank is above or below the top of the rad?
Does it make any difference if you use a pressurised or non-pressurised rad cap?
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Citroen BX that was extremely difficult to fill without getting air locks as the expansion tank was lower than the engine and radiator although it did have bleed valves in the pipe work by the heater and carburettor, the way they did it at the garage was with a large bottle that fitted over the expansion tank taking the water level above the engine and heater and then filled it with all the bleed valve s open and the engine running.
If you have air in the system then the air will expand much quicker and much more than water thus forcing the water out, the other possible cause could be a build up of pressure caused by a leaking head gasket, have you tried testing the water system for gases?

Morris 8 two seater
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Commer has an expansion tank approx. 12 inches above the radiator. The operators manual states that the coolant level should not be seen in the expansion tank but when she boils up the water level rises up the 12" of pipe into the expansion tank.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought:
You have a 'header overflow pipe' and an expansion tank. Are they connected in the right sequence? Or do you need both? I'm thinking that the overflow should be from the expansion tank, not the radiator header.
Wiki refers to the engine as a 'Commer Knocker'!
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes you mention that the banging "starts slow and quiet then increases in frequency and volume". If the frequency of the banging doesn't follow the engine revs then I think I would rule out the water hydraulic theory.

Peter
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
The Commer has an expansion tank approx. 12 inches above the radiator. The operator's manual states that the coolant level should not be seen in the expansion tank but when she boils up the water level rises up the 12" of pipe into the expansion tank.

I wonder if you might try something?
If there is a cab heater, be sure any valve to that is set to 'hot'.
Then take the radiator cap off & fill it slowly but via the header tank. Despite the manual, a little visible water won't matter. The rad should overflow, but at least you're guaranteed a completely full system.

I think the pressure cap should be on the expansion tank, not the rad. Some expansion tanks have a 2nd inlet port for a rad overflow - re-cycling the coolant.
I'm not sure about the rad overflow being open to the atmosphere - won't it just burp water out? Perhaps you could temporarily block it off.

I'll bet you've already tried all this!

The banging might possibly be water suddenly hitting very hot steel & instantly turning into super-heated steam. This can be very violent - ask any traction engine owner!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions, we are going to try out lots of theories before we do anything drastic like taking the head off etc.

Its good to get ideas from everyone, we all have a different take on things and to me this is what the forum is all about.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: banging? Reply with quote

interesting thread and a lot of good suggestions . though I understand some garages can leak test engines using pressure testing ( cylinder and coolant) plus chemical tests. though not directly involved in these checks so only have word of mouth as it were. If it was my engine depending on cost /time of things would go through process of checking pressure in system and assuming we think internal coolant leak ..topping up required often? ..then would think about changing head gasket and having head checked for flatness or lightly skimmed too. is there a 'commer' forum at all? and have we bounced the issue of other sites such as 'petrol heads' .good luck and do update please so we can all find out final fix.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leak down testers can be purchased for less than £25 these days If you have a compressor it would be worth getting one as it will quickly identify if there is a leaky cylinder and where its leaking from.

Far more informative than a compression test.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: