classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MMM cars with their overhead camshafts need much more maintenance than the later cars. Mechanically, however, these Wolseley derived engines are a sheer delight and there was uproar when the curtain came down on them.

IT was perfectly understandable to fit a cheap and reliable Ford engine when the cost of maintaining the original overhead camshaft unit became unsustainable. These days, such conversions are being converted back if possible!...If you are lucky the original engine stayed with the car the car.

Commercially, the T series cars were a big success and although the Morris 10 derived engines couldn't rev as freely, they can easily be tuned.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped I could make progress today but unfortunately the Restoration Gods were having none of it. Last night I carefully set the front oil seal into a bed of silicone in the timing cover housing. The corresponding housing in the sump will need similar sealing.

I have also noticed that there is a conflict between tightening the sump down (horizontal plane) and tightening the timing cover to the front of the engine and the sump at the same time -(vertical plane). Small gaps appear which will not be sealed by a gasket. I will have to give this some more thought...

This afternoon I had to reset the seal in the timing cover again because the silicone I used had not gone off. (I had tried using some silicone that had been opened a while so as usual I only have myself to blame.) To be sure; this time I opened a fresh tube.

I had also soaked the cork gasket in oil overnight and fitted it into it's housing. To ensure correct location I "dry" fitted the sump. There is a thin walled section that slightly cuts into the cork to seal it. Any small gaps can be filled with silicone.

No wonder these engines leak oil.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took the engine out of our 55 Hillman last weekend, this moring we have been inspecting and cleaning. We have all the new parts ready to fit so next weekend we will be fitting the pistons.

Its really nice to be finally working on the car and making some really good progress.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We took the engine out of our 55 Hillman last weekend, this moring we have been inspecting and cleaning. We have all the new parts ready to fit so next weekend we will be fitting the pistons.

Its really nice to be finally working on the car and making some really good progress.

I really like that era of Minx. I'm just off outside for a tinker with the Volvo, domestic duties now completed and out of the way for the foreseeable future (ie next hour or so).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad was saying the same thing this morning, we really like the shape of the 50's Minx and they are really nice to work on.

We've had ours for years now but have never really had the time or space to work on her.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but some cars have always been under rated despite having very few vices. Hillmans fall into that group (along with Standard in my opinion).
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats something that has always drawn me to Hillmans, they are not well represented and dont tend to be too popular. But they are such good cars, well made and nice to work on.

Prewar cars are my main interest and Hillmans are in the same sort of bracket as Standard /Singer / Vauxhall. Nice cars but not the mainstream following like Austin / Morris / Ford etc.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I think thats something that has always drawn me to Hillmans, they are not well represented and dont tend to be too popular. But they are such good cars, well made and nice to work on.

Prewar cars are my main interest and Hillmans are in the same sort of bracket as Standard /Singer / Vauxhall. Nice cars but not the mainstream following like Austin / Morris / Ford etc.

A Hillman Hunter won the London to Sydney Marathon in 1968. I was the only pupil in our year who placed a bet on the Rotes Group coming first at 200:1.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:

A Hillman Hunter won the London to Sydney Marathon in 1968. I was the only pupil in our year who placed a bet on the Rotes Group coming first at 200:1.

did you bet a £ or a shilling? Smile

Dave
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had three Hillman Minxes, a 1947 last of the separate headlamps, a 1949 Minx mkIII first of the new shape (first car I drove) a 1957 Minx first of the Audax cars (the one I officially learned to drive in) I can remember the slogan "built stronger to last longer" , I always thought they were better built than most of their competitors the ones my father had were certainly the most reliable of any cars he owned previously or subsequently. It's a shame more people didn't recognise their virtues and keep and restore more of them, a very underrated car in my opinion .

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

did you bet a £ or a shilling? Smile

Dave

Sore Point. I was a young lad at the time and had been kept away from the corrupting influence of gambling. I didn't know how it worked. For some reason I thought you had to pay over your stake money AFTER the event! When I presented my sixpence to the teacher I was told that despite backing the winning team, I had not paid my stake in advance and so the £5 prize money was not forthcoming.

Looking back, the teacher was at fault because if her idea was to enlighten the class about "gambling" in general, she should have made the process clear and asked me for the stake as soon as I had put my name down.

Of course, the other, more worldly kids, thought it was a hoot and I never really lived it down.

On the other hand I had other friends who valued that I could rebuild a Sturmey Archer!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started making a pair of rear brake disc shields for my Audi project. The car is a long way off needing them, but I've just done a front pair for my Firenza, and I'm celebrating watching a video showing me how to use tin-snips properly, and also fancied a few hours off welding the bottom edge of the inner still. They are available (not sure if NOS or remanufactured), but at £145 a pair.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having fitted the sump and timing cover I moved onto fitting the water pump and the elbow and thermostat assembly.

To my annoyance the water pump and crankshaft pulleys won't align. They are not even close!

The water pump is new and it's taper shaft is about 1/4" longer than the original. The body obviously can't go back any further.

The crank pulley is a new double one designed to operate both the dynamo and the supercharger. It pushes onto the end of the crankshaft up to the sprocket and has a woodruff key. The front oil seal runs on it's outside surface.

I am obviously restricted in getting the pulley much further forward by the key way. I cannot remember seeing any distance piece behind it.

alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a watter pump pulley with a deeper inset?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Is there a watter pump pulley with a deeper inset?

I don't know. I shall have to speak to the supplier tomorrow. He says this pump is an improvement (upgrade) as it has 6 vanes instead of the original 4. The overall shaft is about the same length as the original but the taper part protrudes a bit further out from the body. The pump is sold by a reputable MG supplier and engine builder (who rebuilt my engine) so I assumed it would be a straight bolt on part.

None of the exploded diagrams of the engine show a distance piece behind the crankshaft pulley but I can't see any other way of making the pulleys line up.

I suppose there is always the possibility of machining the pump pulley (the pulley is original and would normally have the fan blades attached) so it can go further on the shaft. There may be a new pulley that goes better with this pump.

Incidentally, it wasn't a cheap upgrade!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 55 of 119

Jump to: