classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Young children's reaction to classic cars?.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Young children's reaction to classic cars?. Reply with quote

"Did people actually drive those things?.

That was the question asked by my next door neighbour's ten year old daughter the other day. The car in question was a split screen Minor Minor parked outside. When her father answered yes, he added that his own father, her grandad, had one in the same colour - black.

"Weren't you frightened to go in it?". Her father said no, many people owed them and her reply was " I'd be frightened, it looks so sad and grumpy."

I had to smile and so did my neighbour.

Nearly all the younger children in my family love to be driven in the 1962 S2a Land Rover. Why? Children love old Land Rovers for some reason - the noise perhaps, it certainly isn't the comfort but perhaps because nothing else old looks like it. "It looks friendly" was my one eight year old's comment.

Not one of them likes the Jaguar Mark 2 - "It looks as if it's going to bite you" was the opinion of one. "Did bad people drive them?" was another's question. A child's intuition perhaps?

Just one final point. My nephew has an intelligent daughter and just before Christmas last year, he, myself and the then ten year old girl and her brother aged seven were looking at old family photographs with cars in them. There were Humber Hawks, Austin A40s and 50s, Minors, Anglias and so on.

All the photos were black and white and the two children looked at me and the elder asked " When did people start seeing in colour, then?"

Lovely!

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet

Last edited by Ellis on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My niece started high school at a rather up-market school in a large town in our south-west. My brother and I collected her from school one night in my brother’s very smart 2.5 litre Riley. She was horrified and begged her dad to park the car around the corner so her friends would not see “the old bomb”. I was not a good uncle, suggesting that she might be better off walking home for the next week or so.

The next day dad parked round the corner, out of sight. She then remarked that her friends considered the car “very cool” and could he park it out the front in future.

I know that I’m getting old.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" When did people start seeing in colour, then."

Laughing Great story Ellis Laughing
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of when I got my first car back in the 1960s - a 1936 Austin Seven. Our next door neighbour's little boy - maybe three or four years old - was scared stiff of the little Austin: when's it going to explode? It took a while to realise the adults referred to it as the old banger!
consul 57

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 2 boy grandkids and they love cars in general but love the ones they can relate to esp my son in laws rovers which he races as well as thier 70's fords.
one thing i have noticed since doing various shows in my consul and my off road customised suzuki vitara is that the kids love the vitara being to them a monster truck and they can actualy touch and i do allow them to climb in and on it, unlike the shiny classics that they can't go near.
my youngest grand son does like going in the consul, but only for very short journys as there are no seat belts! as he can sit in the middle but can't see over the dash.
i think some classic owners would rather not see kids at shows from what i have overheard from some owners, shame as we need them to keep it going.
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Range Rover Classic was once referred to as "majestic" by a young teenage girl, and another called my Triumph 2000 estate a "cool car", so they aren't all philistines!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally used to take my kids & friends to school in my Morris 8 Series E, they loved it, especially going over the level crossing where they wanted me to go as fast as possible so they got bounced up and down, whilst I thinking of the fragile M8 chassis....being a softy the kids always won!

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are very used to driving in vintage cars, but I recall the last time I picked my son up from school in our 37 Hillman.

I waa asked to drop his friend home and he was not impressed travelling in the car. He complained that it was dirty, smelled old and had no seat belts!

My boy loves it and is very proud of the car, he was not impressed with his friend.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate that junior is interested in the old junk dotted around OCC HQ, he got to travel in various old vehicles from a very young age and still likes to go out in them, plus he's had a go at driving the grey Fergie and one other already, and is itching to start driving lessons proper (only another 6ish years to go then).

Despite having a games console and a phone, like everyone at his age seems to do, fortunately he balances out these modern distractions with collecting old toys, tools, advertising tins/boxes, and stamps, and is always a few steps ahead of me at any car boot sale, autojumble or toy fair that we go to. Sometimes encouraging him has its downsides Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
" When did people start seeing in colour, then."

Laughing Great story Ellis Laughing

My own daughter made a similar comment when we were looking through a box of old photos. She would have been about 8. I have heard similar stories from other parents.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say my son is quite similar Rick. He has a tablet and XBox but any chance to come out in the old car or to go to a show and hes right there.

Hes very keen on WW2 and is collecting up wartime kit to wear at 1940's events we attend with the Hillman.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I would say my son is quite similar Rick. He has a tablet and XBox but any chance to come out in the old car or to go to a show and hes right there.

Hes very keen on WW2 and is collecting up wartime kit to wear at 1940's events we attend with the Hillman.

That's encouraging to hear, someone's got to look after this old clobber when we're gone.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
My 8yr old Grandson was able to tell the attendant at Blackpool Aviation Museum, why they had tape over the machine gun apertures in the leading edges.
Whether I've told him and he's remembered it or found out some other way I don't know.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
My 8yr old Grandson was able to tell the attendant at Blackpool Aviation Museum, why they had tape over the machine gun apertures in the leading edges.

Oh come on, you can't leave that hanging. I doubt I'll ever be there, but that's the kind of thing I love to be able to drop into conversations, to make it look as if I'm more knowledgeable.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It was so that on return to base ground crew immediately knew that the guns had been fired and would need reloading.

It also disclosed a problem if a gun had failed to fire when others had.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: