classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the cold light of day, the answer to the problem became obvious. I hadn't noticed that the new pump doesn't have a grease point. The bearings are sealed which obviates the need for the thick felt sealing washer and when fitted without it the pulleys lined up just fine!!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good morning with the rebuild of our 55 Minx engine. I managed to snap a gudgeon pin circlip and we dont have any spare!

We then couldnt find the valve grinding tool either, a pretty much wasted morning.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled to remove a couple of taper pins from the clutch shaft in the old (broken) bell housing and ended up drilling them out. I had hoped to re use the shaft but it is too badly worn so I have ordered a new one.

New clutch forks are not currently available so I shall re use the original but I have ordered a new clutch release bearing. The clutch cover has been balanced and a new clutch plate came with the 5 speed gearbox conversion.

Another job was to remove the pilot bush from the end of the crankshaft. I followed a long established method of firstly making a cut in the brass bush with a hack saw blade then filling the hole with engine oil and whacking a close fitting length of bar into the hole. The hydraulic effect easily removed the bush.

I then turned up a brass drift to be a close fit in the new bush and gently tapped it into place.

I also took the opportunity of offering up the new bell housing to the engine. Just as well I did because it wouldn't fit on the dowels and I had to carefully relieve the holes with a round file. Eventually, after several attempts, the new bell housing went on and (in my opinion) looks good.!

I am a Dremmel fan and I have lost count the times I reach for it. The little brass by pass elbow (which I intend to use for a heater take off) came up a treat. Shame to paint it!

Here, the new 5 speed gearbox is waiting to be united with the bell housing and engine. Peter Gamble of Hi Gear Engineering makes a lovely job of rebuilding Ford Type 9 gearboxes. Everything inside is brand new. Mine even has a higher (modified) first gear and revering light switch.!

Not cheap but should pay dividends in terms of performance when mated to the higher rear axle and increased power output. At least that's the hope.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to fit a type 5 to my MGA using the Hi Gear kit, I have a couple of type 5's but not looked in them yet....

Dave
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: today Reply with quote

well not much doing it seems .though have started car and do give it a quick run around to keep things working etc . handbrake still an issue but seems rover P6 have a rep in that area. Though I am assured most are. fully Ok so it's just mine having issues ..oh well 2day will get car out and just warm engine and try handbrake a few times. tempting as it is to try a bazooka or flame thrower to solve issues . Shocked
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put the door back on my Audi this afternoon, so I can make sure the sill lines up when I fit it. It'll have to come off again for some more cleaning and de-rusting, but it's OK for now. The sill isn't bad, just needs trimming down and a few little adjustments.

I also popped out to a local trim shop to get a bit more headlining material, as it looks like I'll have time to work on the inside of the Firenza.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a dilemma. The clutch release bearing carrier is located on it's 5/8" shaft by a Woodruff key but there is nothing to prevent it from drifting from side to side within the limitations of the carbon thrust bearing and shaft.

A previous owner must have had problems in this area because they had fitted a peg which I found troublesome to remove. The hole is visible in the photo.

Whether it is the right thing to do or not I have chosen not to drill this new shaft (it may be too hard anyway) and have drifted the fork along a bit, applied a little Loctite, then drifted the fork back again. I also applied some glue to the hole.
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project deserves its own thread.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:

It does have.... but I don't know that it gets visited that often.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Here is the main thread for Ray's car
https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21060

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
norustplease wrote:

It does have.... but I don't know that it gets visited that often.

It wouldn't harm to bundle updates into that other thread in a way, keep things together and its easier to follow progress as the weeks roll by Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look at it....I get prompts in my email.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Here is a dilemma. The clutch release bearing carrier is located on it's 5/8" shaft by a Woodruff key but there is nothing to prevent it from drifting from side to side within the limitations of the carbon thrust bearing and shaft.

A previous owner must have had problems in this area because they had fitted a peg which I found troublesome to remove. The hole is visible in the photo.

Whether it is the right thing to do or not I have chosen not to drill this new shaft (it may be too hard anyway) and have drifted the fork along a bit, applied a little Loctite, then drifted the fork back again. I also applied some glue to the hole.

The method the previous owner used was the standard approach on pre-war Morris's, the peg would have been have been a taper pin. The shaft should be case hardened, so would be a bugger to drill!!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the taper pin is concerned, the original one didn't go right through the shaft so I had to drill it out to remove the assembly.

I bought some new taper pins but only used one - on the clutch lever. The new pins are made of plasticine...

Future posts will be on the MG thread.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the battery in the Mondeo today. It was still able to start the car but was the original Ford equipment with a label stating "First Charge April 2004."
Can't really complain at that.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 56 of 121

Jump to: