classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tin might be wearing thin but I think I need to stop the acid creeping up the post. More grease perhaps??

P.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had these on few vehicles before there were sealed batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Anti-Corrosion-Washers-Black/dp/B01155YKF4

Used a combination of removing connectors, cleaning by dousing with boiling water, drying re-assemble and pouring a small amount of power steering fluid over everything. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting Peter but I'm too lazy to clean these things 2 or 3 times/year.

Peter Sad
MVPeters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need one of these - link below. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes & with a coating of Vaseline on & around the terminals, lasts for 2 or 3 years without corrosion.
I think the main trick is to be sure the post & terminals are both clean & bright, the terminal well down over the post & clamped tight.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Top-and-Side-Terminals-Cleaning-Brush-Auto-Car-Battery-Cleaner/193160218680?hash=item2cf93f0838:g:~DMAAOSwKtBdxQw7
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More welding, recently. The outer sill is now on the project car, along with the bottom of the rear quarter panel, and another repair a bit further up the drivers door pillar. That's about as solid as the bottom right side of the car has been in decades.
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replaced the rubber bumper iron gromets on the consul.
sadly it showed how rutsy the no plate light is so now need one of those!
gave the inside of the bumper & overriders a good coat of wax and polished the bumper under the over riders where you cant get at it once it is all together.
does now look much tidyer at the rear.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treated the Princess to a bit of a spruce up on the front end. If the weather holds tomorrow I'm hoping to give the bonnet a fresh coat of paint too. Nothing too fancy, just enough to tidy things up and keep the weather away from the steel, for what this car is that's perfectly acceptable.

I'm not sure the car itself fits with the ethos of the forum since while it does fit into the newer end of the time period here, it's mildly cosmetically modified. All modifications are kept in-period for a late 1980s to early 1990s project car and I've taken care to only use things that would have been available then as much as possible. Concessions to modernity have been in welding fresh steel in to replace rust rather than trowelling on fibreglass and filler, I suspect I can be forgiven for that. The rear lights are a little exotic for the period, the front ones are much more mundane.

The other thing I did today was remove the head in readiness for fitting the new valves, I'm just waiting on parts arriving so that I might complete the task.

Generally, it's quite a pleasant car to work on, which is just as well since I have had to spend a lot of time working on it over the last eight years.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, don't worry - anything old that's being worked on, used, dragged out of a hedge, or being polished, fits in with the ethos of the forum (such as there is one...!).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't cleaned the engine bay since the engine was rebuilt six years ago so I decided, with time on my hands, to get to it. But, horror, I can't find the Solvol Autosol. Now given the situation we are in, what household product would be best for cleaning cam covers, paint etc?
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brasso, bathroom cream cleaner like Cif, or if you're really desperate, vinegar followed by glass cleaner using a cotton flannel or towel, for the metal bits. For paint, any kitchen cleaner (not oven cleaner) works perfectly fine, especially if you're trying to remove oily deposits.

I'll pop a little thread in the Austin section for the Princess later on today, just cover the highlights from the last few years of ownership.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the valves from the head on the Princess. Relieved to report that the only casualties of this mishap appear to be the valves and the valve stems seals (only four on this engine, rather than eight) and since I already have replacements for those we should be good to go again soon.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a move around today, which included getting big Dodge out for an airing and a warm through. As it's so quiet at the moment I also turned it around, which involves going out onto the road and backing it in again - much easier than the 20-point turn I managed to achieve on the drive years ago. I also began a spring clean of surplus junk, proper junk, that had been taking up valuable space about the place.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House move and unpacking very much on-going but we are using the big shed for a bit of extra storage. I have been making a few trips down there with various boxes etc but yesterday due to the fact that the swallows have started flying about down the yard I took the time to properly sheet up all the vehicles in storage whilst making the last trip!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not something that I have done but my mum sent me a video yesterday.

My Dad has owned his Cortina Mk2 1600E for over 40 years now, it was stripped many years back for restoration. The mechanicals are all in the back of his garage and the shell is sheeted outside my shed.

The video sent yesterday was of my Dad finally starting the engine rebuild! Its took something like this to make him the time and prompt him into keeping himself occupied.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new chrome to the front and rear screen seals on the Princess. The front chrome particularly was in quite bad shape and had shrunk a lot.

Might seem a bit odd to fit new chrome when the windscreen seal is in such bad shape, especially since I do have a brand new windscreen seal waiting to be fitted, but I haven't got a new windscreen ordered yet and wanted some practice fitting this insert to the old seal just in case I messed it up somehow. Looks much better now.

I'm also on the lookout for the correct sort of join finisher for the front, the car never had one when I bought it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 59 of 119

Jump to: