classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Model A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Ford Model A Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just looking back at the Wish List thread, it's interesting how often Model As crop up in the 1920s category, yet Austin 7s just the once so far.

Are we a bunch of closet Model A fans?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one certainly like the Model A, does anyone remember watching the Waltons as a child and seeing all Model A's?
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, as you know, I have a soft spot for the A. It is, in my opinion, one of the few low priced cars of the period that can be driven happily in modern traffic. I haven't had the pleasure of driving one of the lower horsepower British versions, but the USA and Canadian cars were not only capable of speeds over 60 mph., but could sustain that hour after hour.

I have owned many A's from a 1927 model, one of the first built, to a 1932 model, one of the last. The one that I had the longest was bought in 1966 used as everyday transport, restored from mid 1970 to February 1972 ready for the N.Z. International rally of that year. Subsequently we brought it to Australia and again used it for daily transport. We also did some extended tours including Melbourne to Perth and back, a round trip of over 5,000 miles and Melbourne to Cairns and back covering a similar distance, and on both occasions towing a trailer with all our camping gear.

It was reluctantly sold in 1990, because we were moving to South Gippsland, the other side of Melbourne , and it had reached a point of needing a re-restoration, which considering we had clocked up over 200,000 miles was not a bad effort.

My love of the model comes from much experience. Regrettably the cars now, cost far more than I could justify, but if I could afford one, I would not hesitate to buy another.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never even been in a Model A let alone drive one. Austin Sevens, though, are bread and butter to me. Having said that, I can see why the Ford is so popular.

The comparison between the Ford A and the Austin 7 is more a demonstration of the higher standard of living that Americans, in general, enjoyed at that time. We Brits had to settle for much smaller cars that were not always that well built when compared to the Yanks. Our road network at the time consisted of narrow winding roads so maybe the Austin 7 had it's compensations.

Also, you can rebuild an Austin 7 engine on the kitchen table!
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, although I would love a Model A, my legs are too long for the drivers seat.
Boring Tucson SUV
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an Austin Seven can really be compared with a Model A Ford. A better comparison would be with a Model "T" Ford. That vehicle put America (and a lot of the world) on wheels, compared to the Austin Seven that put Britain on wheels. Both were very basic pioneering vehicles.

The Model "A" was quite a sophisticated car. I read somewhere that it was the first mass produced car to have shock absorbers fitted as standard. (Perhaps somebody could confirm or correct me on this) It was certainly an attractive and reliable vehicle and there are still very many of them in Australia happily driving about. My only reservation is my dislike of four cylinder engines, especially large ones.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, the A certainly had shock absorbers from the first of the model. I don't know if it was the first production car with them.

Perhaps in some way the T and A7 could be compared, but the Austin was a 'child' of the 1920's and the T originated in 1908, and remained until 1927. so in reality, they have little, if anything in common. The T remained popular for so long because of its rugged construction, low price and as a vehicle that was easy to learn to drive. By the end of its production it was quite out of tune with the cars of the same era.

The A7 was designed while the U.K. had a horsepower tax, so the engine, and the rest of the car accordingly was made small. The USA had no similar restriction so the 20 (rated) horsepower was actually considered a fairly small engine there.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:

... The Model "A" was quite a sophisticated car. I read somewhere that it was the first mass produced car to have shock absorbers fitted as standard. (Perhaps somebody could confirm or correct me on this) ...

Keith

I suppose this depends on your interpretation of mass production, but pretty much every car sold in Britain had shock absorbers as standard long before the Model A came along. All but the very first Austin Sevens had them as standard -from mid-1923 - and the later bullnose Morris had Gabriel Snubbers from a similar date.
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've strongly considered buying a T, but having driven several I'm still not convinced I could get to grips with the bizarre and counter intuitive controls. They are complete brain-melt!

So my thoughts are on Model As now, given they are reasonable in respect of size, costs, availability of spares and useability. Any tips?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: