classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reliant Pickup
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reliant Pickup Reply with quote

Useful for transporting polystyrene no doubt.

alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent off road vehicles....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are indeed, years ago I worked with a chap who was a keen shooting man. His Reliant Regal get him across fields and woods even in wet conditions, quite amazing where it would go.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good....but few of us would want to own one!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of the Reliant Ant

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Excellent off road vehicles....

A neighbour of mine has modified one with the body removed and replaced with a flat bed. It has a mini engine fitted (lengthways) and Morris 8 rear end; including wheels. He uses it for climbing the steep rough terrain that leads to his garage built into the hillside.

It never fails whatever the conditions. Quite remarkable. So is the owner.!
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had one of the more recent and more powerful ones and gave me shot of it. It had quite good acceleration and the steering was very direct like a go cart but this gave a false sense of its handling because it was very easy to lift a rear wheel.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
A friend of mine had one of the more recent and more powerful ones and gave me shot of it. It had quite good acceleration and the steering was very direct like a go cart but this gave a false sense of its handling because it was very easy to lift a rear wheel.

Peter

I agree about the false sense of security with the later cars. They had come on a long way from the early cars with the Austin Seven engine and if you are careful on corners they are reasonably O.K. I have driven both and there really is no comparison.

I still wouldn't have one though!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper rear wheel drive driving skills needed....sadly mostly lost on drivers these days?

Gas down hard through bends, shifting 'weight' onto back axle...?

Lift off in a bend, the inside rear will lift

Rear engined Skodas would do much the same...[more modern than Triumph Heralds]..
Got slated in the wetpress, due to likelihood of unskilled drivers getting behind the wheel?

Somehow, the concept of 'learning the necessary skills' is now lost, or derided as non-PC. People no longer think they should 'need to know'....
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to ask...not being overly affiliated with reliant 3 wheelers [or, Reliant triples????]....but does the fitting of a wider front tyre achieve any benefits to handling?
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a wider tyre on front or even rear would make a lot of difference as most of weight is front biased from engine, i had an early regal last of round shape before 3/25 it had the austin 7 engine which i re-built it was an insurance write off as drivers door hinge point support had been hit and wood frame had splintered and also chassis was bent [ utter cr-p] with fair amount of hoof and horn glue a scissors jack and a block of wood frame was straightened until set, chassis was no more than a broken engine mount new one fitted and all ok after doing engine my wife and self plus my two young kids plus an ex-army bell tent went to new forest and i got 56.5mpg it was kept for about two years then i found chassis had started to rot so it was scrapped .....
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a wider tyre on front or even rear would make a lot of difference as most of weight is front biased from engine, i had an early regal last of round shape before 3/25 it had the austin 7 engine which i re-built it was an insurance write off as drivers door hinge point support had been hit and wood frame had splintered and also chassis was bent [ utter cr-p] with fair amount of hoof and horn glue a scissors jack and a block of wood frame was straightened until set, chassis was no more than a broken engine mount new one fitted and all ok after doing engine my wife and self plus my two young kids plus an ex-army bell tent went to new forest and i got 56.5mpg it was kept for about two years then i found chassis had started to rot so it was scrapped .....
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: reliant Reply with quote

alastairq

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churchill Johnson wrote:

Mr. Green Mr. Green

Thanks for that.....useful bit of history.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
A wider tyre/wheel combo would throw the centre of contact for the front wheel further to the nearside.
This is assuming that there isn't enough clearance from the suspension and steering mechanism on the off side of the wheel to allow a wider wheel with a different offset that permits the centre of contact to stay on the same line

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: