classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Would anyone have ever put a bet on this happening ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Would anyone have ever put a bet on this happening ? Reply with quote

April 20 2020.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, however for me its great Smile Smile Smile We have oil heating, so our heating costs have more than halved from where they were 3 months ago, ...just ordered a load of oil.
19p a litre and of course none of it ends up in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Watch it go shooting up again after it is all over.
Apparently mega tankers are being chartered at multiples of their normal rates just to act as holding tanks because of the current falling demand.

https://www.ft.com/content/98054686-0825-43f2-b34d-27d28a3d17c2

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Nope, however for me its great Smile Smile Smile We have oil heating, so our heating costs have more than halved from where they were 3 months ago, ...just ordered a load of oil.
19p a litre and of course none of it ends up in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

Dave

Time to buy a larger storage tank ?
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1901 the Spindle Top gusher came in near Beaumont, Texas. The price of Texas crude dropped to 5 cents a barrel. I can't find an accurate price for petrol in the U.K. at that time, but it seems to be about 1/3 to 1/6 a gallon very roughly about 1.5 pence a litre. Overheads have gone up!
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 April 2020. Our local station has it at 0.72cents per litre, roughly 0.41pence. Our gas/petrol price is controlled by the local government and prices are adjusted at 12:00 midnight on a Wednesday. The price they quote is the highest that any gas/petroi station can sell it for. Around here the #1 supplier is Irving, and they restrict what their licensed stations can sell it at, so the stations can't have their own price war.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never before expressed my fuel consumption in gallons per month! Like many of us I remember 4/6d per gallon, but in modern times I moved house at the end of 1978 and it was 78p per litre. No problem there, except at that precise moment the mortgage changed from 9% (when I exchanged contracts for the new build) to 16%. Ouch!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "cleverly" filled my daily driver at the start of lockdown, "just in case", as I have to do shopping for parents. "Cleverly" in the sense that it was still 118.9p per litre. Yesterday I topped it up, at 104.9p. That said, the station I first used (the new Esso station on the by-pass Rick) was still at 112.9 yesterday, so the competitive price they had on opening has gone away.

Don't ask me for investment advice.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest I've seen is 102.7 at the unmanned Asda stations, heard some talk on the radio of petrol falling below £1/litre (that would be 99.9, then) but haven't seen any sign of that happening, has anyone else?

They are probably thinking of recouping the cost of modernising the pumps a few years ago to show prices over £1/litre, they all maned like hell at the time but I notice nobody dropped the annoying xxx.9 nonsense which would have made the conversion so much cheaper and easier!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Cheapest I've seen is 102.7 at the unmanned Asda stations, heard some talk on the radio of petrol falling below £1/litre (that would be 99.9, then) but haven't seen any sign of that happening, has anyone else?

They are probably thinking of recouping the cost of modernising the pumps a few years ago to show prices over £1/litre, they all maned like hell at the time but I notice nobody dropped the annoying xxx.9 nonsense which would have made the conversion so much cheaper and easier!

I heard reports of fuel dipping below £1 a few weeks ago not far from here, and of cars queuing down the road as a result Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read on the subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52387826
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol down to 99.7 at Morrisons in Bargoed this afternoon, heard it on the radio that they had reduced to under £1/litre at all their forecourts - by chance as I was going to Bargoed anyway. Let's hope it starts a supermarket price war... Smile
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder why fuel prices is such an emotive issue. I mean, we all need it, and 10p difference filling a 60 litre tank is £6, or a couple of pints at the local. I've seen in Leicester once a man pull into the forecourt during one of the periodic shortages and he managed to squeeze not even £5 in, having filled up not long before. And we all know someone who will do an extra 10 miles to save 2p a litre. But I gave up on the hunt years ago. I mean £6 every three weeks (my average) is not really going to break the bank, now is it. Actually it is about £3 here but again, it's close and convenient. So just why is it such a - stupidly - emotive issue?
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the first energy crisis in 1973/74, I worked with a guy who managed to squeeze 10pence worth into his Austin 1100. He could not understand why the man in the petrol station was annoyed about his wasting time. I was driving an old Plymouth at the time, his greatest delight was telling me every day "No more big American cars for you when it reaches £1 a gallon". He was wrong
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 pensionquids saved..is also 3 weeks supply of milk.....or 3 chickens to roast.

Living as I do on a small bunch of pensions, income is limited.....with over 50 % going on rent.

Beer is something my kids may buy me twice a year.

Since none of my old cars won't get much better than 29 1/2 miles t' gallon of petrol, any sort of reduction is gratefully received.
The temptation to fill up whilst the going is good [the Dellow's tank will hold 15 gallons...or 68 litres.........Mustang is similar.....].....should be resisted....because of the nature of today's petrol. It will evaporate a good 15% by the end of 5 weeks!! [According to BP Australia, back in 2005..probably worse now, 15 years later, as petrol changes its makeup as time passes.]

Having more or less renewed my Dellow's fuel line system over past couple of years, I'd like to run it on E10.....but cannot get hold of E10 cheaply enough, within 30 miles of where I live....so I make do with 95 RON E5......Asda petrol is good enough...if I'm that way on [don't make special trips for petrol....but I do take advantage if I happen to be near enough for other reasons]....

So, saving up to 20 p a litre petrol [diesel not far behind either..but my diesel is SORNed for the duration,,,saving me 25 pensionquids tax every month]......is quite a big deal, on a limited income, with an unlimited enthusiasm to feed......I cannot seem to help it, but I enjoy driving, anything...except , anything made this century!!! Even if it does mean foregoing a bottle of wine or three. Or making a 2 quid roasted chicken last me a week????
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: