classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Looking very tidy, I'd never heard of the 100 Club version before.
RJ

Best jazz club in London in the 60's. I don't remember any purple, though it was hazy from the cigarette smoke.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence, or a deliberate decision by BL to use the same name? I guess we'll never know.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The workforce at our factory wjo are left are now down on to a 4 day week. So, a Friday off and I have just spent a couple of hours down the shed trying to free off my ERF Gardner 5LW.

The engine is completely stripped, heads off, sump off, pistons out etc so making it easier to get at the seized crank but she is seized pretty solid.

We have been soaking in oil on and off since Christmas, no joy yet though.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go at replacing the throttle shaft o-ring on the diesel injector pump on my BX and managed to break the internals on reassembly.

What was a cheap fix has now become rather expensive. Unfortunately, one of the parts I broke appears to no longer be available, fortunately I found a second hand pump in budget that should have the parts I need inside. Then it will be a case of sending my original pump and parts off to be rebuilt.

Sometimes, doing it yourself doesn't pay.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took the consul out for a test drive today, first time off the drive since 5th jan!
new brake cylinders and supsension seem to work ok.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismantling A40 over the last couple of days, will do a proper update in its own thread shortly.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a spare TR4 bonnet today. Took care in transporting but even so I noticed it catched too much wind when going faster than 50 mph. So I took the long way home - not motorways but through villages and over dykes etc. Time needed was twice as long but it did not matter as it was a lovely day and there is much more to see when not on the motorway.

The bonnet was bought from someone who had just sold his TR4a to a classic car dealer for strong money. It amazed him the dealer gave so much for his car, which was drivable but need a lot of work to make presentable. The dealer has this car on its site here (far too expensive in my opinion): https://www.stolzeclassiccars.nl/aanbod/4189/triumph-tr4a-irs-green/

He had owned the car since 1970 and when his local garage, who maintained the car for him and took the yearly inspection, said they were closing he decided this was the time to sell. Over the years he had done many body "repairs" in glass fibre (sills, front and rear wings) and also somehow mended the dent it had in the bonnet. He had a minor accident back in 1981 when he bought a second hand bonnet which I now bought. Then came to the conclusion he could repair his own bonnet so the spare bonnet hung onto a garage wall since.

I bought the bonnet because while these still are available new, they also are amazingly expensive. If I ever would need one (hope not of course) I shudder with the thought of having to source one. So the spare will also be hanging in my garage probably forever Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really too hot today so with sweat pouring off me I took all the wire wheels off the SS to clean them. Goodness knows if I will get a chance to use the car this summer but you can only live in hope.

Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started to do the cam belt change on my "modern" today. I was hoping to have it all in bits, but I've ended up having to grind the head off one bolt (so far), so it's going to be longer.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did I do to my car today? Answer - I drove it!

The weather was a gorgeous 27 degrees with low humidity and as we have been promised the grandaddy of storms to hit us tomorrow, today is probably the last decent day for a open car, before our winter sets in.

I dragged the A40 out of the shed where it has sat since last year, dusted it down, filled her up with 95 octane, and now that our house arrest has been relaxed, set off for the country.

With my good lady aboard, we drove over 180 km (145 miles) through lovely autumn forests on fairly empty roads in glorious weather with the breeze through our hair. (And yes, I am lucky enough to still have all mine!)

A day I will treasure for a long time. I now remember why I love the old cars.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Sid

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back under my V8 Pilot today. Managed to get the starter motor off only to find one of the live feed wires had rubbed through the insulation and welded itself to the motor body.
Of course to get the SM off you have to remove the exhaust manifold above it, where I discovered several cracks in it, some resulting in holes, so I took off the other side too and that had the same problem. They've previously been repaired...badly...so it looks like a bit of money needs to be spent.
On the upside, all this has revealed the top of the steering box where I think the adjustment is carried out.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the cam belt change on the daily driver, and it seems to be OK. It seems to have taken a long time, but as well as grinding the head off a bolt I'm also unfamiliar with the engine, and the lack of room didn't help. I'll do it quicker next time.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, that sounds a superb drive through some lovely country.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More A40 fettling, tidying up areas of surface rust so that they don't get worse, plus arranged to buy a NOS n/s/r wing which will donate repair panels as necessary (to match the o/s/r example already in stock).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after the mot man said to kepp an eye on my hilux steering found both the steering arm and boomerang bar to be worn so changed them both.
luckily not as dear as the last time i changed one and only 1/2 hour to get the boomerang arm off unlike 2 days last time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 63 of 119

Jump to: