classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A starter motor that doesn't
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Sid

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: A starter motor that doesn't Reply with quote

My Ford V8 Pilot (converted to 12 volt, not by me) that I recently bought has, up till recently, been starting fine. Then when I was doing a compression test, the starter motor packed up halfway through.
My first thought was that the motor had burnt out (it looks like the original 6 volt although I can't confirm that). So I disconnected everything and attempted to take it off. This wasn't possible as the steering drop arm is in the way, even when unbolted from the frame and pushed up as far as it goes (about 1" before it hits the exhaust manifold).
So I bolted it back onto the bell housing. Since then every time I connect the battery it goes straight to earth. If I disconnect the lead from the solenoid to the starter, everything is fine.
I tested the solenoid between the two main terminals and got a closed circuit. I had a spare unused 12 volt solenoid switch, which I also tested, so I swapped it over with the original just to make sure that was ok, and it still goes straight to earth. It does this even when the ignition is off, even though the ignition has to be on to operate the solenoid.
The motor is free to turn, and the brushes look ok.
I'm out of ideas, anyone got any?
Thanks in advance.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there continuity in the armature and field wingdings?

Dave
Sid

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I can't get the motor right off I don't think I can get to the armature, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and at least check the commutator bars..........
.......checking adjacent commutator bars shows 0.4 ohms on all but one, or it might have been two bars, which shows 1
So motor has to come off which is a bit of a problem
petelang

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly an insulating spacer either broken up or melted where connection goes into the body of the motor, disturbed by attempt to remove and now shorted straight to earth.
Reckon it will have to come off for a proper look though.
Peter
Sid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And therein lies the problem. I've tried each and every way to get the thing off. I've even tried to dismantle it on the car. If it was an inch shorter it would come past the steering box. Terrible design.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid wrote:
And therein lies the problem. I've tried each and every way to get the thing off. I've even tried to dismantle it on the car. If it was an inch shorter it would come past the steering box. Terrible design.

I sympathise with you, Sid. I have the same stupid design on the MG TC. In addition to removing the exhaust, you might have to take out the bolts holding the steering box and move it to one side - if that is possible?

On my car, I changed the starter motor to a smaller one.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter will not come off without disturbing steering components. That is because much of the Pilots design can be traced back to pre-war American Ford V8's which were left hand drive. I seem to remember having to move the steering box, but that could have been on a R.H.D. pre war model
Penman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I seem to remember a problem with starter removal from a Vauxhall Shoveit (Chevette) the exhaust downpipe, or maybe the manifold, needing to be removed in order to remove the starter.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Sid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried taking the steering box bolts off which can be pushed up about half an inch, so if I can take off the bendix etc from the back of the motor while it is still in situ, it may just be able to be wriggled out. I'm trying to avoid taking off the exhaust, but that may have to go too. I'll let you know when I start to enjoy myself :\
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side. You can always start it on the handle.
Sid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily she usually starts with three pumps on the loud pedal and one swing of the handle.
The funny thing is, I asked the bloke who sold it to me if it started on the handle. When he said he wouldn't want to try I told him I used to start Bedford RL 4-tonners on the handle when I was in the army. He said when he was in the army they had starter motors Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: