classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Satin black
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
mr911er

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Satin black Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I’m about to respray the targa bar on my old Porsche 911. I have done this before, but the finish is very patchy, with variations in the smoothness of the satin black finish. When I did the job I rubbed down and sprayed with primer, so I’m not sure what I did to get an uneven finish...
Any comments welcome, thanks...I am comsidering gloss.....
Kevin
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painting is 90% preparation; if the surface you are spraying has any defects they will be highlighted when the top coat goes on.
Panels with defects can look great in primer because its matt. gloss paint will show more defects than satin!

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you rub down the primer as well? Was it high-build primer or just standard stuff? What grade of paper are you using to rub down? Is it aerosol satin black, and if so, is it a decent make?
mr911er

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Satin bl Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies gents..

Hmm..as far as i know there are no defects in the panel, not obvious anyway...
it was a while ago that I did the job originally, so i cant remember specific details of paint and paper grade. However, I did rub the primer down with a fine grade of paper....not sure about the paint as i say..
What should the answers be? i.e what grade of paper and what paint should I use....?

Kevin[/b]
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably isn't a definitive answer. For example, the need to use high-build primer will depend on the quality of the surface underneath. As I read it, avoid the cheap tins of satin black aerosol, but it's a while since I bought any. And of course, if you're not using aerosol, that doesn't apply.

Rubbing down primer should be 600-800 grit.

I suppose another question would be what do you mean by "uneven finish"? Does the surface smoothness vary, or is the colour patchy, or something else?

(I'm not trying to suggest I necessarily have the answers, just expand on the detail in case someone else sees it and has fixed the same issue).
mr911er

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: satin black Reply with quote

Sorry, should have said...aerosol rattle can
The paint has an uneven 'shine' - some areas are more glossy than others...
I've tried to insert a suitable pic...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eEhBfY3XJH7Sbmgw8
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be nothing more than a poor-quality aerosol. Or, were you able to spray "strokes" across the whole width of the targa bar, or could these be parts where overspray from one bit hit the preceding part that was already drying?
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: uneven colour /finish Reply with quote

with rattle cans we can get mixed results. often its improper paint mix and application resulting in 'patchy' finish . eg part of paint layer is heavier than others .overspray etc . common problems even with a paint gun where inexperience and wrong paint /thinners mix occurs. even dampness or grease? can affect paint outcome. it is a skilled job in reality. hence spot paint repairs use specific paints. methods. infra red heat lights etc to affect blemish free repairs. sadly not cheap for a reason. practice and comparisons with other blemish /finish issues will often result in a solution. good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: