classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1940's Triang Minic clockwork Double Decker Bus M60
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Iain P

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: 1940's Triang Minic clockwork Double Decker Bus M60 Reply with quote

This took around 30 hours, spread over many weeks, due to inexperience and lack of skills! Ridiculous for one little bus, I know...The next one will certainly be quicker
The diecast wheels with red roof, cream and red upper deck and all red lower deck identify this bus as ( I believe) a Version II post-war (late 1940's?) 60M.
Below is the video, but first some stills:

A child stamped on the bus, it seems:

During restoration:

And compared to "after"

And here's the video of the whole process:

https://youtu.be/2hO-5gc6YUE
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain,

That is totally brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed your video and appreciate how much fiddly work you had to do. The finished result is a credit to you and your patience. Thirty hours is NOT ridiculous. It's your hobby and time taken is not a consideration.

I hope you will restore some more toys and put them on youtube for our pleasure.

Thanks - Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant work Iain. Some of us are keen to restore items of the scale of 12" to the foot, but others work in smaller scales.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Now when I were but a nipper of 4 years old, I was given a clockwork trolley bus. Once wound, it would run along for a foot or two, then pause with the clockwork motor still turning, then move forwards another couple of feet. I think that it was given to me towards the end of 1949. Regretfully it disappeared either on the ship to Australia or shortly after.
I have no idea of the manufacturer, but should you ever come across one, I would be really interested to hear about it.

Dane.
Iain P

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement guys.
"The scale of 12" to the foot" Funny Wink I had to read that twice! It's been a long day....
Having dabbled with model restoration now, I have just a slightly better understanding of the massive commitment and skill that must be involved in REAL restoration. Even models are really hard!
Yes, I'll look out for the trolleybus clockwork. The next renovation has just started: Triang No.2 Lines Bros (?) tractor / bulldozer, clockwork c1935

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: