classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New member...rust advice please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Supernube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: New member...rust advice please. Reply with quote

Hello all. I hope you are all well.

I am new to the forum and have signed up as I believe the wealth of knowledge and experience will save a lot of searching and joining of other forums.

I have a VW T4 van...not exactly a classic I know but its my classic....and I am also hoping to win a VW Beetle on Ebay over the next 24 hours lol.

I have rust on my wheel arches and want to sort it out as well as I can with what I have.

Due to lack of knowledge I originally rubbed them back to bare metal and then covered them with a normal aerosol primer...anti rust primer...which I now know is not the way to go.

The rust is showing through and I am obviously going to have to get it back to bare metal again and then do it correctly...correct treatment..correct order...ect.

I believe lots of people use Epoxy primer...bare in mind I do not have any spray equipment...at the moment anyway.

My question is this...what should I do lol...what can I use...and what should my process be ?

Thats three questions but ...

Thank you very much...any advice will be very much appreciated.

Daniel

Last edited by Supernube on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing is to properly get rid of the rust. Unfortunately with a lot of arches, the rust is coming through from the inside where moisture gathers between the inner and outer wing panels. I don't know the vehicle so I can't say whether that's possible on yours.

If it is, unfortunately the solution is to cut the rusty metal out and replace it with new, unless you can get to the back of it with rust killer. As the two panels are usually welded together, that's often impossible.

I've started using "Hydrate 80" rust treatment on the recommendation of someone else. It's too early for me to tell whether it's going to be any good, but the chap who recommended it has been using it for some years and is in contact with the vehicles he's used it on.

Epoxy primer is a good choice because it's waterproof, where a lot of other primers are not. That can help if your paint gets chipped, or if it could get damp after you prime it but before you can put top coat on.
Supernube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I believe the wings are bolted on...no second skin so to speak...not in direct contact anyway.
I basically just want to get rid of the rust spots before they turn in to a problem I cant put right myself....the arches are not ruined by any means...just starting to show in places and rotted through on one spot I believe.

I was thinking about my personal position really...Im not able to dedicate days in a row on the van ...as much as I would love to...so like you mention maybe the epoxy would give me time AND protection while I get the job done.

Is it possible to get an aerosol epoxy ? or maybe use a brush ...I heard that doesnt leave a great finish though ?

I do intend on getting a compressor and spray set up asap.... and a welder lol.....think I might need it for the Beetle
Smile

I'll put some pics up maybe.
Thanks again
Supernube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these pictures work...then it shows the general state of my arches...nothing major at all.

I would imaging you all deal with much much worse than this lol...but Its something that becomes worse isnt it... thats why I wanted to do it now.

Thats why it was more about the product / procedure...than the work.

Also there are much worse areas on my van than this that I will be sorting out ...and as I keep mentioning...my first Beetle lol.

https://flic.kr/p/2janJjc

https://flic.kr/p/2jaiPz6
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:

Epoxy primer is a good choice because it's waterproof, where a lot of other primers are not. That can help if your paint gets chipped, or if it could get damp after you prime it but before you can put top coat on.

That's interesting, so would you recommend something like the following to rattle-can onto repairs that are ongoing, to keep the rust at bay, until such time as final layers of primer and paint go on?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TROTON-ANTI-RUST-PRIMER-EXCELLENT-ADHESION-EPOXY-PRIMER-GREY-AEROSOL-500ml/333605207041

thanks, R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I have any experience of aerosol-based epoxy primers, I based that on what I read while I was doing the hatch. I didn't dig into whether there are good and bad epoxy primers, otherwise I'd never have got going with the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: