classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

When life was... easier? Ford's water coo-ooled brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: When life was... easier? Ford's water coo-ooled brakes Reply with quote

lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Jaguar rally in France in 1996 I did find someone under his E-type with a tin of grease in hand. He was suffering from rear brake squeal and thought greasing the discs would be the answer.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I believe there was a time when lack of cleanliness of the car and also damage could cost penalties at final scrutiny. I think it may hhave been on the regularity trials.

So some drivers were known to try to get just short of the finish early, so that they could wash down their cars, and I did hear of a driver who took a hammer to his bodywork BEFORE the start scrutiny because then the scrutineers wouldn't be able to tell what damage had occurred during raally.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
On a Jaguar rally in France in 1996 I did find someone under his E-type with a tin of grease in hand. He was suffering from rear brake squeal and thought greasing the discs would be the answer.

That's an effective way of transferring the squeals to the inside of the car Laughing
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I believe there was a time when lack of cleanliness of the car and also damage could cost penalties at final scrutiny. I think it may hhave been on the regularity trials.

So some drivers were known to try to get just short of the finish early, so that they could wash down their cars, and I did hear of a driver who took a hammer to his bodywork BEFORE the start scrutiny because then the scrutineers wouldn't be able to tell what damage had occurred during raally.

Hi Penman, Long before the Internet or Google, I had heard the same story about hammering the bodywork. My father knew the late Eric Jackson, (Rally Driver- Ford Dealer - Character (par excellence) and it may have come from either him or his peers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: