classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another hour spent sorting through ERF lorry spares, I found the remnants of the grill this morning. Not quite enough there to use as a pattern but enough left to use as a pattern for the infill.

Its a huge project but such a rare vehicle and local to us so it has to be saved.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent much of the day fiddling around with a few recently-purchased air tools, and making a couple of repair panels for the o/s/r corner of the A40.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's one of the things I miss about not having a wander around Aldi from time to time - the weird and wonderful things that turn up there that might be handy.

I've been welding again. I'm almost at the bottom of my gas bottle, but not quite - the contents pressure gauge is showing nothing, but I'm still getting flow, and I get better-quality welds in the last few minutes of gas for some reason. Perhaps I should shake the bottle from time to time.

So a trip for a new bottle beckons, sometime this week.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
^ That's one of the things I miss about not having a wander around Aldi from time to time - the weird and wonderful things that turn up there that might be handy.

I've been welding again. I'm almost at the bottom of my gas bottle, but not quite - the contents pressure gauge is showing nothing, but I'm still getting flow, and I get better-quality welds in the last few minutes of gas for some reason. Perhaps I should shake the bottle from time to time.

So a trip for a new bottle beckons, sometime this week.

The air tools were bought online, but the new auto-reactive (is that the term?) welding hat/helmet bought from Aldi is quite nifty, and should prove useful when I'm wreaking havoc with the MIG.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using my Chrysler for a number of years without a working speedo. I very rarely take it through the city, nor do i drive it very fast, so it has not been a problem.

The original speedo is a cable driven, drum type instrument and is located in the middle of the dashboard. I spent $750 getting it rebuilt when I restored the car. It lasted exactly eleven miles. The shyster who attempted the repair refused to give me any sort of follow-up or even discussion whatsoever, as it was not new.

Today I have just bought and installed a G.P.S. speedo that I have fitted above the windscreen between the rear view mirror and the wiper motor and below the hood. It gives me the accurate speed in two inch high green digital figures. When looking inside the car, at shows for instance, unless one turns one's head sharply upwards, it is not apparent, yet when driving, it is very easy to see without taking your eyes from the screen. Although obviously not age appropriate with car, it is a very safe addition.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
The air tools were bought online, but the new auto-reactive (is that the term?) welding hat/helmet bought from Aldi is quite nifty, and should prove useful when I'm wreaking havoc with the MIG.

RJ

One of those made a significant different to the quality of my welding. Before, I had to try to put the MIG torch in roughly the correct place, but I couldn't actually see before I started the weld, so I ended up with all sorts of perfect welds in slightly the wrong place. The other thing that helped was a better MIG - my first one had a permanently live torch.
Sid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to adjusting the Pilot's steering from a whopping 8" of free play, giving predictive steering a whole new meaning, to a much more acceptable 2".
Unfortunately, because I have to do it with the steering box still in the car, it's a lot of climbing under and back out from under the car, while I have to find the right number of shims to put in or leave out. And in this heat at my age it got a little bit tiring. So I'll be back out tomorrow to tighten it up a bit more.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this heat I'm not sure I feel like doing any work under the car! Think it will be another day of sorting patterns for my ERF lorry.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got down the yard 2 days in a row, have been doing a lot of clearing outside the shed.
The place seems to have been taken over by masses of brambles, I have been cutting it all back about a metre or so each week. This morning I cut back as far as to reveal my sheeted up spare Gardner 5LW engine for the ERF.
I took the sheet off and she is dry as a bone, I proceeded to go over all nuts/bolts/fittings etc with healthy amounts of WD40.
The plan is to keep the engine in one piece so it gives us the ideal thing to follow in the rebuild of the original, then if we find any parts missing on the original they can then be taken from the spare.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after about 4 months my Father and I decided it was ok for him to come down the yard and work again, he is 74 so we have been keeping isolated.
We thought its outside and is fairly easy to keep our distance.
The look on his face when he got to work was priceless, its funny thinking about the basic things we have missed out on.
We moved the big Hillman out the shed and that gave us access to get the ERF engine block outside. It is huge and we needed to turn it over to get at the crankshaft bearings, in the end to make the job easy we used our 2 ton engine crane. The whole job was done in 20 mins and we were very pleased.
At least now we can start the engine rebuild in earnest.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon finding out the huge costs of spares to rebuild our Gardner engine we have set about stripping our spare engine. Where we have duplicates we can sell them on in order to fund the rebuild.

This morning was spent trying to remove the sump and fuel pump. Its also good that we have a source of original nuts/bolts/washers etc.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked all four tyres (each at least 5psi down after lockdown) and drove it to the first meet of the year. 1937 Citroen, TR3A, TR6, Porsche 356, Renault 4CV, early Alpine (not Sunbeam!) and others. A nice trip out.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another project on the go, so have been cutting out someone else's poor "repairs" and replacing them. I've been rather neglecting my Audi, which I will have to get back on to soon, to balance things out a bit.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out in the Princess the other day. Managed to go about a mile before the clutch master cylinder gave up. Super.

The BX is also in the doghouse at the moment since it's now started leaking diesel from the back somewhere after fitting the freshly reconditioned injection pump. It's probably a split hose in an inaccessible area, chasing out the issues on the fuel system is becoming a bit of a chore.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More sorting of parts for our ERF. All the metal panels are shot but I am salvaging as much as I can for patterns.

I found out the bonnet panels this morning. I will draw them up and atart fabricating new ones. Although not needed straightaway its good to get any parts fabricated and stored away safe in the dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 66 of 119

Jump to: