classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Why havent i any winscreen washer set up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interpretation of the slightly vague requirement for washers relates to what is fitted.

If washers are fitted, or were fitted, then they must work and work correctly. If they were original equipment then they must be present and work. If they were fitted as an accessory, then they must work correctly.

Opening windshields, are the only reason that having no wipers is acceptable. If there are no wipers fitted as original equipment, then there would not have been washers.
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1961 Peugeot van never had screen washers from new, and still didn't when I restored it, my MOT station (rightly or wrongly)
said as it never had them it doesn't need them now so it still doesn't have any..... it's a dilemma for the new owner now Confused
Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were optional extras as was the heater.
There were two types of windscreen washers available, the low tech push plunger on the dashboard to spray the screen or the posh vacuum powered washer.
Cheers
Guy
Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two types of windscreen washers available, the low tech push plunger on the dashboard to spray the screen or the posh vacuum powered washer.
Cheers
Guy
Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers
Guy
Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers
Guy
Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
That seem at odds with this.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/windscreen-wipers-and-washers-on-road-vehicles/summary-of-the-requirements-for-windscreen-wipers-and-washers-on-road-vehicles

I understood that washers was one of the items required for vehicles even if not original equipment unless it has an opening windscreen.

By the way Guy, could you go back and remove some of those double posts please.

If the DeBug warning shows it doesn't mean that the post hasn't been added you just need to go back to the thread from the menu, check that the post is there and then when you go back out the new post flag will; disappear.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if your MOT tester doesn't know the regs a workable - and period correct - option is a washing up liquid bottle full of suitable liquid. You lean forward, arm out the window and squirt. Dad told me it's what he and his mates with old bangers did back in the sixties and it's got me out of a hole a couple of times when washers wouldn't work... Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testers are either employees or owners,either way they have little incentive not to fail something that should fail and or not know the regs:

a) because any fail is a potential revenue generator.
b) they can have their individual NT licence suspended (for a single serious error or a build up of points for less serious errors) anything from 28 days to 2 years, which for an employee could lead to suspension from work as they can't do their job!

For the last few years VOSA inspectors have the right to stop and check vehicles without a police presence, they have been known to sit round the corner from an MOT station and check recently MOT's vehicles. They also turn up to unannounced observe tests being undertaken.

The penalties are worse for AE's especially if they putting pressure on NT's to deviate from the testing regs for whatever reason.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law was an M.O.T. tester. One garage where he worked a fellow employee staged a break in and a book full of certificates went missing. The crooked mechanic was caught out selling the certificates to less than scrupulous used car dealers.

Unfortunately for my relative the garage had it's licence removed and he found himself looking for another job.

The crook ended up in prison.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Testers are either employees or owners,either way they have little incentive not to fail something that should fail and or not know the regs:

a) because any fail is a potential revenue generator.
b) they can have their individual NT licence suspended (for a single serious error or a build up of points for less serious errors) anything from 28 days to 2 years, which for an employee could lead to suspension from work as they can't do their job!

For the last few years VOSA inspectors have the right to stop and check vehicles without a police presence, they have been known to sit round the corner from an MOT station and check recently MOT's vehicles. They also turn up to unannounced observe tests being undertaken.

The penalties are worse for AE's especially if they putting pressure on NT's to deviate from the testing regs for whatever reason.

Dave

Indeed this is so. VOSA often set-up in a big layby on a major route not far from me....Also Customs & Excise...dodgy Tranny vans beware! It is amazing who they catch out...and, for what for!
Police always in attendance, they ping reg numbers many hundreds of metres away, before the hapless driver is even aware of their presence. Thus, details are available to decide whether to allow a vehicle to pass by, or not. Or, they target specific types of vehicle...Lorries with incorrectly secured loads, for example...especially curtainsiders.

I have been known to whizz down in my Dellow for a 'free' MoT check...and struggle to persuade them to even look at it..the pre-checks showing it's insured, taxed, etc anyway.

Last time I stopped & asked [I have no fear of these checks]...over 3/4s of all vehicles stopped were 'unroadworthy' to one extent or another.
That's moderns for you!
Often see a dejected driver on their mobile to their boss, wanting a replacement vehicle!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i bought my first consul in 1981 a black 57 it had no screen washers at all, aparently it had been off the road just before the law changed and they were never fitted i had to fit them for it's first mot in 82.
my current one had them from new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: