classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Headlamp reflectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Headlamp reflectors. Reply with quote

The original headlamp reflectors that came with my MG TC are in poor condition and will need to be re silvered; that would not explain why sealed beam units were fitted to the original headlamp bowls. While they work, they are not as aesthetically pleasing as the original "cats eyes" lenses and to that end I have sourced a pair of n.o.s. lenses that fit the rims.

The problem is that the bulb holders appear to have been modified so that the bulbs themselves cannot be removed. Very Happy

I am unsure what to do with these reflectors but replacements may be a better option.

Any one have a pair of 8" reflectors that they could part with?
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray.
I had my reflectors resilvered by Keith Ardley in Ely I think. He did a brilliant job and not expensive. I have since used him for at least two other sets.
I cant see why you can't remove the bulb though.
Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Peter. I have heard good reports before so must be a "go to" guy.

I couldn't work out what has been done but the bulb is not held by the bayonet hooks and might be soldered to the end of the fitting. Never seen this before. Strange.

Close examination of the first two photos show the extent to which the bulb will pull forward.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has that clamp got something to do with it ?
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think the only way to sort out the bulbs is to push them in as far as possible then apply some heat to the inboard end of the holders, if they have been soldered in you should be able then to get them out and examine the holders properly from both ends.

Are they off-set pins in order to put the different filaments in the correct position relative to the reflector focus?

It may then be possible to repair the slots if they are damaged or even make some slotted collars and sprung brass contacts, might even need replacement insulating material originally prbably Paxolin but thickish plasticard should work and being out of sight any modern materials wouldn't show.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:

Theoretically, yes. It is the clamp that holds the bulb holder in the reflector. with the clamp loosened it should be possible to remove the holder but for some reason, I can't remove either bulb.

Having said that, I was thinking of fitting LEDs and I don't know if they will fit in conventional bayonet type holders?

My other option for an upgrade would be to go over to Halogen. I will probably fit halogen bulbs because they produce a good light. Not as bright as LEDs but still perfectly usable... and I know they will fit.!

I have ordered a couple of new bulb holders from Paul Beck. It has been my policy to replace any suspect parts with new if possible.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Peter_L wrote:

Theoretically, yes. It is the clamp that holds the bulb holder in the reflector. with the clamp loosened it should be possible to remove the holder but for some reason, I can't remove either bulb.

Let us know after you have received the new ones and torn apart the old ones. As Penman suggests it may be down to solder.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray
I think the bulbs are just stuck/corroded into the bulb holder. I'd slacken the clamp as much as you can, maybe pry it open a bit & put a couple of drops of PlusGas between the bulb & holder. Wait a day or two!
I presume the bulb contact pins are spring-loaded, & probably rusted solid, so push the bulb in & out if you can. Then push & twist to unlock the bulb.
I think the sleeve the bulb holder slides in to is part of the reflector, crimped or welded. The bulb only fits the bulb holder in one position, so the focus adjustment is between the holder & the sleeve; the clamp locks it in place & provides the earth.
The bulb appears to be a BA15D 1188 type which is a 6V bulb. However, an 1188-12V is available. Model 'A' Fords & others are similar. Links below.
I'd be nervous about LEDs because I doubt if the beam pattern would be any good (& the non-authentic color would bother me!).

https://www.memotronics.com/box-of-10-1188-12v-lamp-auto-bulb-automotive-12v-34w-24w-ba15d-rp11/

https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlight-5-to-30-volt-ba15d-dual-filament-non-polarized.aspx

You'll fix them quicker than it took me to write this! I hope it helps.
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I have fitted LED headlamp bulbs to these type of lampholders on my Armstrong Siddeley. Got them from Peter at http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php

He's my go to man for these.
What a difference! Before they were like a couple of candles but now I can actually see where we're going at night.
Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulbs are still not coming out but I have at least established what is wrong.

As MVP suggested it looks like the spring loaded contact pins have rusted solid. It means I can't push the bulb in far enough to be able to twist it out of the holder.

It is typical of me to persevere with a futile task. I will never re use these bulbs or holders again so I might as well cut them off with the Dremel.

I only need them out so I can send the reflectors to be re silvered. I will be getting replacement bulb holders and until I have the car finished and on the road I will just fit normal bulbs.

The new LED headlight bulbs may well give a much better light but you pay for it!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

I have (somewhere!) these NOS reflectors that I think are for a Morris 10, if they are any good to you.

I took these pics a couple of years ago before I moved house, for someone in the MR

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave. Yes I would be interested if they measure 7 3/4" edge to edge.

They could be just the job!

Please PM me.

Thanks, Ray.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!!

I managed to remove the bulbs. For some reason, the springs would simply not compress. They were fouling on something. Actually, there was no corrosion and I managed to save one of them (and the bulb) without damaging it. The other one is no good. No worries; I have new ones on order.

It is true to say, I think, that electrical components tend not to improve with age. Sadly. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: