classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Polish and wax for cellulose paint finish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Polish and wax for cellulose paint finish Reply with quote

Advise please, which good polish should be used on mature cellulose paint finish. Also decent wax protection product? Thanks.
alanb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years or so ago I did some driving for a company that imported and supplied Mercedes Benz funeral cars and the preparation veleter swore by Meguiars Gold class carnauba past.

Morris 8 two seater
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
Thank you for reply, I will have a look at that, I do know the name maquires as my lad uses one of their products on his car.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use Autoglym Super Resin Polish on my cars. I did a bit of asking around at various shows last year to see what others are using and that still seemed to be popular. I was asking because there's a new make almost every time you look.

You could probably ask on somewhere like Detailing World, see what people say on there, but you might get more different answers than you want.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I gave up waxing my cars in the last century. I tried so many products but getting that finishing touch just right was so difficult, and I could always see a swirl or mark somewhere so - I just stopped. Now I find that a good bucket of water with Fairy Liquid and a quality chamois gives me a satisfactory result, and for the painted wires (easier to keep clean than chromes) the high pressure washer with the shampoo bottle and a good blast afterwards is as good as I need. Not too close though! Although people talk about the problems of salt in the washing up liquid I have never experienced it, but do make sure the car is well rinsed after washing.
old iron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for reply.
I have in the past found that the Autogylm products leave residue in white powdery form. I’m not a fanatic at the wash and polish level, just want to preserve the paint looking good. The white powder I found would build up in the really hard to get at edges, properly reflects my effort with the polish cloth. Embarassed
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too used to use Autoglym and got fed up with the white residues. I now use Simonize with Carnuba Wax.

Peter
old iron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I think I gave up waxing my cars in the last century. I tried so many products but getting that finishing touch just right was so difficult, and I could always see a swirl or mark somewhere so - I just stopped. Now I find that a good bucket of water with Fairy Liquid and a quality chamois gives me a satisfactory result, and for the painted wires (easier to keep clean than chromes) the high pressure washer with the shampoo bottle and a good blast afterwards is as good as I need. Not too close though! Although people talk about the problems of salt in the washing up liquid I have never experienced it, but do make sure the car is well rinsed after washing.

My Late Father-in-Law used the washing up liquid in his bucket of warm water to wash his car.It finally stripped off the paint down to the base metal almost.
TBH I would never follow his example, perhaps he failed to rinse off properly, but still.
My car has painted wire spokes, I think your suggestion of low pressure spray is about as good as any method if not better. A soft sponge follow up and job done. Thanks for suggestions.
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teenager in the early 60s there was a taxi driver a few doors up from my parents house, he had the shiniest black Rover 100 I’ve ever seen and he never polished it, he’d wash it rinse off the bubbles then wipe it over with a cloth soaked in paraffin then hose if off and let it dry in between washes he would use a nenette mop to keep up the shine.

Morris 8 two seater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: