classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

All season tyres on a classic - thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: All season tyres on a classic - thoughts? Reply with quote

All being well we shall be heading to the Highlands next March in our '63 One-Point-Five. It's likely temperatures will be low with icy roads, maybe snow too so I'm thinking that 'Winter' or 'All Season' tyres will be sensible.

The car is currently on 175/60-14 Hankook 'Summer'tyres but there's a limited choice of all-seasons in that size (though one is Michelin Cross Climate +, one of the best rated).

The question is, has anyone experience of such tyres on their classic and which?

A supplementary question: I could go to 175/65-14 and have a larger and cheaper choice - worth it or not?

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Hankook and Nankang offer winter tyres in your current size.

Then there's a proper winter nordic tyre from Nankang?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m228b0s9299p161859/Nankang_Tyres_Winter_Nordic_Car_Nankang_IC1_Ice_Activa_Nankang_IC_1_-_165_70_R14_81T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Worth a scan, I'd be going for the cheaper priced tyres, considering their limited use?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m94b0s0p0/Winter_-_Snow_-_Cold_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_14_inch

But then, the only tyres I've ever used that let me down, performance-wise, have been the more expensive, 'good-name' brands....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we worry too much. Most of us are of an age where you only had things called "tyres", and crossplies at that. I would happily go to Scotland in the E-type on my Blockley 185/15 radials, since most of the driving for you, if there is much frost, will be on - EEK!! salted roads. And if you are on the back roads, common ssnse should prevail. Highest gear, lowest revs, and cadence braking.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I think we worry too much. Most of us are of an age where you only had things called "tyres", and crossplies at that. I would happily go to Scotland in the E-type on my Blockley 185/15 radials, since most of the driving for you, if there is much frost, will be on - EEK!! salted roads. And if you are on the back roads, common ssnse should prevail. Highest gear, lowest revs, and cadence braking.

I'm not at all worried. I've driven the Riley on crossplies, they lost front grip too readily in the wet and were soon changed. As I now need new tyres anyway and want to use the car more often during the colder months I'm just exploring all the options.

Alastair - thanks, I'll have a look at the Nankangs however I had their summer tyres on the car previously and the Hankooks are better so perhaps the same is true of their winters.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alastair - thanks, I'll have a look at the Nankangs however I had their summer tyres on the car previously and the Hankooks are better so perhaps the same is true of their winters.

The Nankangs may well have more flexible sidewalls? [IE. fewer plies in the carcass?] The make is more known for it's on road-off road tyres.
Remember the suspension was designed around crossply tyres[including all the tracking, etc]....which have stiffer sidewalls.

Unless very well financially endowed, nearly all crossplies sold for a reasonable retail cost these past 20 years are fairly basic in their tread pattern and rubber mix. Avon tourists, etc? All under the 60 pensionquids mark.
I use Avons on the front of my Dellow, purely to stop the wheelrims scraping the tarmac.

I use Michelin taxis...or Nankangs, on the rear...the Michelins are not cheap [Nankangs cheaper by far], but the extra 6 plies [or so] in the Micheline taxi carcasses makes them as stiff as a crossply....but without the pencil rubber casing.

Nankangs spread more.

[My tyre choice dictated as much by what tyres are permitted for classic reliability trials, as anything else]

Blockleys absolutely no good except on tarmac....opinion of those who have coughed up a minor mortgage for a pair...
My wheel diameter is 16 inch....same as a Ford Prefect.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: