classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Non Starter...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Managed to get the manifold off today, found the remains of a homemade gasket and that the previous gasket hadn't been completely removed before that! The copper gasket to the exhaust was non existent also.

Suffering from gasket-eating worms?
Or, disassembled, and hurriedly put back together for sale?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked to us like the gaskets haven't been replaced correctly on a couple of occasions but I would say a long time ago. The chap we bought the lorry off of never had her running properly and as he wasn't a mechanic he didn't strip her down and simply lost interest.
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very timely post for me, my newly acquired pre war Austin is suffering exactly the same symptoms. I thought it might be my starting technique in a very old car, too much choke/not enough, not retarding enough, to much throttle and so on. Thinking I will get the hang of what it likes eventually, such is the want on our oldies.
Took off the air cleaner and resorted to easy start, she fired up coughing and spluttering seven or eight tries before eventually running on four or five of its six cylinders and then warming up a little and chiming in on all six.
I ran it around for about fourteen miles and it ran beautifully. Stopped off for fuel and she restarted ‘on the button’.
That was at the last weekend, reading this thread today the penny dropped. The last owners said he had used it very little over the past year gone, there were two gallons of fuel left in the tank. Stale fuel Embarassed
I fuelled with four gallons and hope that’s enough to overcome the problem.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost count of the number of times that a vehicle that's been laid up refuses to start until a blast of Easy Start fires them up...... then without any further repair or adjustment the engine behaves itself and starts normally.

I suppose there could be many reasons why; sticky valves, blocked jets, soiled plugs, stale fuel; faults that clear with a bit of warmth or good flow through the induction system.

Dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I used to drive for a rural bus & waggin firm, we used to reckon some of the old diesels [and one or two petrols!] became addicted to Easy-start, so wouldn't go without it.....
So we would try to get them going without [cold turkey for some of them].....
One winter's morning the thermometer in the yard was down to minus 36....Fords were the worst to get going.....no amount of pre-heating glow plugs would get them to go....Lots and lots of exhaust smoke rings floating up into the morning sky....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our old Karrier Bantam needed a squirt of easy start once in a while, always ran lovely after that.

The Commer is a different story though, we did try some easy start but it made no difference and she still would just splutter and die out.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Speedy Spares have come up trumps again. I made an enquiry about the manifold gaskets for the Commer at about 10am and by 11am I had a reply saying they had found one and sent on photos for me to compare.

Always had very good service from them and would always recommend.
old iron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this fully resolved the problem, let us know please.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gasket arrived in the post today, very quick.

We will have a go fitting it on Sunday but first we have to do some vehicle moving to get more access!

Will see how it goes.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, manifold gasket all fitted fine. Manifold, fuel pump and carb all refitted and guess what?

She still doesnt start or even fire. She has a good supply of fuel, checked. She has a good spark at each plug, checked. Still nothing.

We did notice now we have an issue with the starter, the solenoid keeps working loose and she bangs against the compression when she does try to fire.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but about the only two things that now come to mind are electrical, namely plug leads and distributor. Are the leads on the correct plugs and is the distributor correctly aligned? Sorry if this sounds silly, but I have personal experience Rolling Eyes Shocked
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an earlier post Rick asked if you had checked the compressions. This doesn't need to be exacting. Just take all the plugs outs and run the starter and stick your thumb over each plug hole to see if it's pumping.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lowdrag,
That is a good call, we have checked all the plug leads and they are fine and we have set the timing so checked the distributor and its fine. We have found a few frayed leads going to and from the starter so I will replace them.
Hi Peter,
We have checked the compression with each plug out and it all appears fine. Thanks, but one concern was when she did try to fire she sort of kicked back against the compression. Sort of hard to explain without seeing it.

As you can imagine, a lot of head scratching going on down here in Somerset at the moment!
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's kicking back then retard the ignition a bit. Again, you don't need anything exact. Just back the distributor body 10 or 15 degrees and if that doesn't work then try advancing it 10 or 15 degrees.

Peter
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds bonkers but my Humber 14/40 suffered problems as you describe, Transpired the timing was out fully 180 degrees!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: