classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any Metro Fans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Any Metro Fans? Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54423328
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a machine toolmaker apprentice i helped build part of the production line that machined Metro cylinder heads.
"Today young man, your going to learn how to scrape a surface truly flat using engineers blue and a hand scraper. Don't worry this machine bed is only 40 foot long". It took weeks.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Metro have any redeeming features?

If so; sorry, but they have escaped me.

Sorry, no offence intended.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Does the Metro have any redeeming features?

If so; sorry, but they have escaped me.

Sorry, no offence intended.

Not my thing really, but I've always thought that the design of the body made for a very airy cabin, and a car that's easy to park, reverse and so on - unlike most modern contraptions.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I think it was a good design and very practical but not my cup of tea.
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the misfortune to be given a Metro as a company car; I hated it, but then I don't like Minis either Laughing
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning to drive Metro's seemed to be the driving instructors vehicle of choice, I like mini's and would love to restore one, can't see me restoring a Metro!
That said the price of Mini's has gone a bit bonkers, so maybe I will have to settle for a Metro!..the MG Metro was supposed to be good fun.

I may have got this wrong, but when launched were they not described as "Mini Metro's" ?

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
With a full, or near full, tank the early ones had a nasty habit of spilling petrol on the road just in front of the O/S rear on left hand bends and corners, could be quite tasty on a wet road.
The filler cap behind the flap was just about level with the top of wheel (not the tyre, the wheel) Later it was moved upwards to the waist line or above.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my Dad getting it in the neck from Mum when he set fire to her MG Metro! Shocked

It was an accident, of course, but they certainly go up well!

Secretly, she was glad of the excuse to go back to driving a Mini Cooper s which she always preferred.

Who wouldn't.???
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been taken by them.

My sister had one as her first car and it was awful to drive, I remember my Father and I having to replace the gearbox on it and then she quickly sold it on.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
When I was learning to drive Metro's seemed to be the driving instructors vehicle of choice, I like mini's and would love to restore one, can't see me restoring a Metro!
That said the price of Mini's has gone a bit bonkers, so maybe I will have to settle for a Metro!..the MG Metro was supposed to be good fun.

I may have got this wrong, but when launched were they not described as "Mini Metro's" ?

Dave

Yes the early ones were MiniMetros. Mum had a posh one, I forget the version, with a stage 2 MG engine. Went ok from memory but I was never a fan of the bus-like steering wheel angle.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I forgot to mention the large bruise I developed on the inside of my right knee which kept getting bashed against the key when getting in, it was just too low down the column.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and what about the galloping rust? The Metro (ADO88) was a dreadful rust bucket - much worse than the mini - which is the main reason they are thin on the ground today.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my favourite but I do notice the few that are around, seem to remember Dad had one for a while back in the late 80's when he couldn't scrape up the brass for something better, though it did get us from Notts to Devon and back without problems one summer before being replaced with, IIRC, the first of the Acclaims he had.There's a chap down in Fleur-de-Lys who's restoring one, I was having a word with him about the rusted out hulk on the driveway which has been a spares donor. I followed one along a road in Blackwood a month or two back that must have been burning nearly as much oil as petrol judging by the exhaust smoke, it looked quite tidy body wise but I doubt it would get another MOT without the engine being replaced or rebored.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. I followed one along a road in Blackwood a month or two back that must have been burning nearly as much oil as petrol judging by the exhaust smoke, it looked quite tidy body wise but I doubt it would get another MOT without the engine being replaced or rebored.[/quote]

So many British Leyland/B.M.C. cars were oil burners, it was to do with the block casting techniques they used. B.L.'s official position on oil burning was "If it does 250 miles to a pint that is acceptable". Apart from the oil burning Metro's were always on the limit when it came to MOT emissions. It was common practice to lean the mixture down until it would hardly run just to get an MOT then richen it up again afterwards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: