classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin A60 steering faults back in the day?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Austin A60 steering faults back in the day? Reply with quote

Here's an unusual query that arrived to the OCC "helpdesk" yesterday, can anyone offer any thoughts? Was there a model-wide issue with the steering on big Farinas, or was this probably just a one-off problem?

-----

This is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone remembers.

In 1964 my Father was unexpectedly issued with a company car, a grey Austin A60 Cambridge. This had been predicted some months earlier by an elderly aunt who attended séances, with a warning that the car would have a dangerous fault on the steering. A few days after taking delivery my father received a letter instructing him that his next journey was to be to the BMC dealership to have a fault on the steering rectified.

I have left it a bit late to ask if anyone remembers what the fault was, but someone may.
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin A60 steering faults back in the day? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Here's an unusual query that arrived to the OCC "helpdesk" yesterday, can anyone offer any thoughts? Was there a model-wide issue with the steering on big Farinas, or was this probably just a one-off problem?

-----

This is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone remembers.

In 1964 my Father was unexpectedly issued with a company car, a grey Austin A60 Cambridge. This had been predicted some months earlier by an elderly aunt who attended séances, with a warning that the car would have a dangerous fault on the steering. A few days after taking delivery my father received a letter instructing him that his next journey was to be to the BMC dealership to have a fault on the steering rectified.

I have left it a bit late to ask if anyone remembers what the fault was, but someone may.

The only fault with the steering I can recall was an incorrectly adjusted idler . Every A60 needed just a minor adjustment and top up with EP90 to transform the otherwise sloppy steering. Easy money in the day.

Perhaps that is all the car required.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: