classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

latest volvo add
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
consul 57

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: latest volvo add Reply with quote

is it just me or is anyone else think the latest volvo add is not very good?
it shows a busy mum with family suddenly braking whilst trying to reverse out of a hedged in driveway onto a main road.
as an ex driving instructor you drill into pupils that you should always back onto a drive, into a parking space and major to minor road whilst turning the car round, that add shows how far driving has got much worse in general, how on earth the volvo driver can hope to see anything walking along any pavement let alone any traffic on that road, it would be hard going forwards!
the car has some supposed warning system for letting you know what is coming but if you are driving too fast out of the driveway, as the volvo is, then you would more than likely collide with something.
maybe the add makers thought it was showing how good the car is and not showing how driving should be done, safely and in control, taking away the common sense from the drivers of the cars.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
As another former instructor, though one still in regular contact with the industry and it's dictatorial masters in Nottingham.(MSA. NW. Editor)
There is, in my mind, a directive from DVSA that any car ads showing driving techniques must always show worst case scenarios.
This is done in order to bolster their egos and justify their own policies of testing bad practises such as driving into parking bays and reversing out and also parking on the RH side of busy roads..

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I pointed this out to my wife when the advert came on. However, it has to be said that some cars today are really quite a bit more intelligent than the people who drive them.! As you will know they have lane control and things like radar that keeps you at a safe distance from the vehicle in front. Cameras and air bags are everywhere.

I apologise for mentioning my wife's new Lexus hybrid but it puts the brakes on if it thinks you are reversing too close to something!. It really does think for the driver.

I imagine driverless cars are likely to be popular.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I agree. I pointed this out to my wife when the advert came on. However, it has to be said that some cars today are really quite a bit more intelligent than the people who drive them.! As you will know they have lane control and things like radar that keeps you at a safe distance from the vehicle in front. Cameras and air bags are everywhere.

I apologise for mentioning my wife's new Lexus hybrid but it puts the brakes on if it thinks you are reversing too close to something!. It really does think for the driver.

I imagine driverless cars are likely to be popular.

The higher a car's clever-ness, the lower the intelligence level required to "drive" it (I'm generalising here, not specifically your wife!!!!). I'm not entirely convinced it's a good thing.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what that says about me then,,,I couldn't even start the blinking thing. "where's the key?"

"It doesn't have one"

Shocked
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed there's a big disclaimer on the screen when she's almost backing into a van, something about the driver should look where they're going at all times.

I always try to back in to parking spaces, and the driveway at home. This dates back to when my cars were much less reliable, and there was a reasonable chance that I might need someone to come round and jump start it for me, though it also works well now that I have a TT roadster and the rear visibility is awful in winter.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Ray White wrote:

I was chatting to a coach driver, a while back, and he told me that his coach has a bad habit of dropping the anchors when he has a Left turn which requires him to go a bit wide and he gets to within about 3 ft of either a car waiting for him to make the turn or entering a narrow road or gateway; even when he knows he is going to clear the obstruction.
I have also had the reversing problem when parking up at work. In our yard we have to park end on 3 or 4 deep and with less than a foot between bumpers.
Once the car has stopped us we then go back a bit more, some vehicles stop us again before we get close enough.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway Code, para 201: "Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway reverse in and drive out if you can". (my italics).

Well, you learn something every day; I always thought it was actually against the law to reverse into a major road, but apparently not.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Highway Code, para 201: "Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway reverse in and drive out if you can". (my italics).

Whilst not enshrined in Law, ignoring the advice of the Highway Code can, and will , be used in evidence.....

The offences concerned will be ''driving without care & consideration,'' etc...or ''Careless driving'', etc....in that, blah blah blah.
What is ignored by those who criticise the edicts from the DVSA [speaking as a former Registered LGV driving Instructor, and Military DI].....is that the DVSA are constantly under pressure to modify driver training to meet the needs of today's traffic situations.
Training...especially for drivers, must not be locked into dogma. Training should be subject to constant change, or 'flux', to meet the needs of practitioners.
In other words, if a situation arises, and training as it stands has need to be modified or altered,then it should be so.

It doesn't mean the training is wrong.
It means the training can meet the needs of today, rather than yesterday.
The DVSA edicts are also subjected to that vilified-by-the-ancient concept...''risk-assessment.''

Take the issue of cyclists, for example?

There is a marked increase in cyclist casualties. [especially in London....London should be banned anyway]....How is that statistic stabilised? What can be done? Well, currently, the thinking is, to give cyclists more priority than they already have.....
Make tipper drivers so darned scared of losing their livelihoods, they won't go anywhere near a cyclist......

It is 'easier' to take a pop at a motor vehicle, since they can be readily identified....Ask any bus driver who drove in the '80's and 90#s about the constant changes to the Highway Code regarding pulling away from bus stops?
It was easier to get bus drivers to play the game, than every car driver.....Bus drivers started to feel 'picked-on'' once more....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advert?

Well....I'd be hacking back those trees that obstruct one's view first?

The biggest problem with reversing into driveways is.....it is often seen as incredibly risky to halt traffic on a main route, so that a car can then reverse into a driveway. Other drivers aren't interested in the needs of the driver concerned.
It becomes simpler and is seen as 'safer' to simply, indicate [unless driving a BMW?] and turning in off the road.
Anyway, how does one inform other road users when one wishes to reverse into one's driveway?
There Is a signal to inform others when one intends to turn left, or pull up on the left. But nothing to inform following road users when one simply wishes to pull up in the middle of the road, in order to reverse [left or right]....?
[Ask anyone how easy it is to inform others when one intends to reverse park? How many times does the car behind pull up to close to one's rear end? What does one do then????]

It is a problem compounded by the ignorance of road users in general.

ANyway, the problems raised by modern safety technology are surely one of the main reasons why we all have old vehicles????

Do you trust Volvo engineers, when it's one's well-being at stake??

I don't!!
Hell, I don't even trust airline pilots!!!
[Stems from spending 25 years as a bus driver.....same sort of responsibilities, but a thousand more hazards to deal with?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: