classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Explaining registration plates in the USA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Explaining registration plates in the USA Reply with quote

And we think that registering a car here can be a minefield ...

https://www.hotcars.com/historical-plates-explained-and-how-to-register-your-car-as-antique/

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, One of the challenges that results from the way vintage vehicles are registered in the States is difficulty tracing a car's history. Plate numbers change from one owner to the next and, as happened in Massachusetts, Registry records can go missing after a few decades. The only clear identifier is the VIN number which is not visible in old photographs. A car's ownership history gets murky once it starts moving from one family's ownership to a dealer or other family.

I ran into this trying to locate my late uncle's King Midget, the first car I ever drove. We have a photo from the mid-sixties showing the plate number, but no way to trace it's VIN number or the names of subsequent owners. Massachusetts records from that era were lost or destroyed at some point. Very frustrating. The International club ran a story I wrote about the car in their newsletter, but that also provided no leads.
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaJoe wrote:
Rick, One of the challenges that results from the way vintage vehicles are registered in the States is difficulty tracing a car's history. Plate numbers change from one owner to the next and, as happened in Massachusetts, Registry records can go missing after a few decades. The only clear identifier is the VIN number which is not visible in old photographs. A car's ownership history gets murky once it starts moving from one family's ownership to a dealer or other family.

I ran into this trying to locate my late uncle's King Midget, the first car I ever drove. We have a photo from the mid-sixties showing the plate number, but no way to trace it's VIN number or the names of subsequent owners. Massachusetts records from that era were lost or destroyed at some point. Very frustrating. The International club ran a story I wrote about the car in their newsletter, but that also provided no leads.
Interesting, in the UK we have a central function that operates a core principle around maintaining the vehicles identity, it can, sometimes be a frustratingly bureaucratic organisation to deal with, but perhaps we should be more mindful of what we wish for !

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: