classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Which fan to fit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Are you going to have a louvred bonnet (apologies if you've covered this before), that'd look the part and also help with temps.

RJ

I know what you mean but I shall be keeping the bonnet original. Once louvres are fitted they are there permanently. Some owners have removed the bonnet sides but I don't personally like the look.

Also; louvres are expensive to get done properly. You may recall that my business has been ruined by CV and I am no longer quite as "flush" as I used to be. In fact from this week I shall be officially an OAP! Shocked Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rick wrote:
Are you going to have a louvred bonnet (apologies if you've covered this before), that'd look the part and also help with temps.

RJ

I know what you mean but I shall be keeping the bonnet original. Once louvres are fitted they are there permanently. Some owners have removed the bonnet sides but I don't personally like the look.

Also; louvres are expensive to get done properly. You may recall that my business has been ruined by CV and I am no longer quite as "flush" as I used to be. In fact from this week I shall be officially an OAP! Shocked Very Happy

If you change your mind, let me know as a friend locally is a dab hand at louvres (and building new bodies) for ancient cars.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered what keeps the rain out of the engine bay if you have louvres in the bonnet top?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

My MG TC is going to be a different thing altogether and although not "correct" it will be more authentic than a replica.

There is nothing out of period with your dashboard alterations or the addition of the supercharger (toothed belt excepted) but the move to plastic fans seems to deviate.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:

There is nothing out of period with your dashboard alterations or the addition of the supercharger (toothed belt excepted) but the move to plastic fans seems to deviate.

Peter

I agree. The yellow plastic MGB fan is a step too far. It stands out like a sore thumb. Perhaps if it was painted matte black It wouldn't look so out of place.

There is no disguising an electric fan though. Then again it is already black but I agree; these things wrankle with me too.

I gave a lot of time to concealing the heater and and discretely routing the pipework ...then to go and spoil it all with a hideous bit of yellow plastic would say more about my chaotic approach to this rebuild than anything else.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD MAN!

Yes, your heater looks fine. (Most people won't see it.)

Peter
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I agree. The yellow plastic MGB fan is a step too far. It stands out like a sore thumb. Perhaps if it was painted matte black It wouldn't look so out of place.

I don't know it, but if the MGB plastic fan is like others I've seen then I doubt paint would last long anyway.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the collapse of my business I am having to watch what I spend. Another fan would be an extravagance; adding special paint even more so.

I won't be getting an MGB fan.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
With the collapse of my business I am having to watch what I spend. Another fan would be an extravagance; adding special paint even more so.

I won't be getting an MGB fan.

I think that's a wise decision, Ray.
Kenham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I made an extended fan boss to fit on the water pump of my generator, Perkins diesel. Although it funs at a constant 1500 rpm it has run for many hours, the boss is about an inch in length made of steel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: