classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Where to start - Triumph Spitfire
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Where to start - Triumph Spitfire Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Thank you for having me on your amazing forum.

I'm a great old vehicles enthusiast, and very lucky owner of one Guzzi Stornello 160 and several old Vespas, which are currently stored (only temporary!) in Italy, my country of origin.

My impression is that legislation here really does encourage owning 40+year old cars (In Italy mot is due every two years no matter the car's age, and to obtain reductions from insurance you need to register to expensive clubs), so I'm actually considering the possibility of buying one of those, tiny, inexpensive British classics, perhaps in the year to come. I don't have a garage of my own, but i do have some space where i work to do some mantainance. That makes me think that i need something with extremely easy access to mechanical parts, like a spitfire or a Herald, or some older girls like the Austin 7?

I would use the vehicle on the weekends, to do some exploration around the Island, which i'm very keen to do, since I haven't moved from London in two years!

So, any advice, idea or suggestion is really much appreciated!

Also, I work on digital manufacturing, so CAD, 3D printing, CNC machining and 3D scanning, and I'll be more than happy to help out any of you, should you need a good tip.

Grazie mille,

Dan
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan

Welcome to the forum.

A Herald or similar sounds like a good choice (just have a close look at the chassis and outriggers when looking at a potential purchase!!).

When you say trips out at the weekend, how far were you thinking of venturing from home? If a long way, then perhaps a car with greater A-road cruising potential would be more suitable? Saying that, a Herald with overdrive would work well.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Triumph Herald sounds ideal for your purposes: a 13/60 will cruise quite happily at 70mph, and the seats are the most comfortable in the Herald range so longer distances are easier. You may find the driving position slightly uncomfortable to begin with - the seat/steering wheel/pedals are not in line - but you'll soon adapt to them.

An Austin Seven is a brilliant little car and easy to work on, but if you are not used to pre-war cars it will be a big learning curve, and long journeys are not to be undertaken lightly.

Either model has good parts supply and easy access for maintenance, and plentiful and supportive enthusiasts to encourage you. Go for it!
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one in favour of the Herald here. Excellent allrounders, comfortable, fast enough, spares no problem, online help freely available here and in the club forums. I have had many trips and holidays in my bog standard 1200 Saloon.
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much people! Spitfire has a more appealing, sporty look, but it sounds like the Herald is the smart choice, also price wise.... so, i'll have a look into that.

Couple more questions:

I read that insurances for old vehicle go at about 300£ per year, is that correct?
Also, is there any change of ownership fee, and how much is it?

Many thanks Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Rossi wrote:
Thank you very much people! Spitfire has a more appealing, sporty look, but it sounds like the Herald is the smart choice, also price wise.... so, i'll have a look into that.

Couple more questions:

I read that insurances for old vehicle go at about 300£ per year, is that correct?
Also, is there any change of ownership fee, and how much is it?

Many thanks Smile

If the car is a second car, ie not your main transport, you should be able to get fully comp/limited mileage insurance for <£100 pa, although it may depend where in London you live and store the car I suppose, and your age?

If you buy a car, changing ownership details with DVLA doesn't involve any fee.

RJ
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that would definetly make sense, I don't have any other "main" cars tough, do you think that might be a problem to get the limited milage?

Many thanks
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Rossi wrote:
yes, that would definetly make sense, I don't have any other "main" cars tough, do you think that might be a problem to get the limited milage?

Many thanks

You'd need to ask the insurance companies, as it'll depend on your postcode, parking arrangements, age and so on. It's hard to say without knowing all this really.

RJ
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might be able to get away with on the insurace front is two oldies... not all classic insurers are careful about specifying that other cars you own have to be moderns, so you can get cheap insurance on classic 1 by owning another car which is classic 2, itself insured cheaply due to owning another car, i.e. classic 1. I got away with it for a while in the 2000's and the arrangement only ended when I sold one of the cars.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao Dan. you're from Italy....lucky man. Surely it's a no-brainer when choosing a classic car? Small, iconic, stylish, cheap and plentiful spare parts......

FOR_4507 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
[/img]
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Ciao Dan. you're from Italy....lucky man. Surely it's a no-brainer when choosing a classic car? Small, iconic, stylish, cheap and plentiful spare parts......

Ha! Well, the 500 could be another candidate actually! Just have to bring it over from Italy, that could be tricky.... they are a bit too pricey here

Anyway, i think the first step for me now is to figure out how much the insurance is going to be.

Thanks to you all!
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking at Heralds and Spitfires, you would be well advised to check with the Triumph Sports Six Club, who have a good insurance scheme which will save you the cost of Club membership and probably more.
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
If you are looking at Heralds and Spitfires, you would be well advised to check with the Triumph Sports Six Club, who have a good insurance scheme which will save you the cost of Club membership and probably more.
Hello Mike, I checked out their website, it basically contains everything you need to know about Triumph cars! That's amazing, thank you very much indeed for your tip!

Cheers!
Dan
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello People,

just wanted to share my excitement and say I just bought my first classic here in the UK!! Got a nice '78 Spitfire at a very reasonable price... needs a lot of love though, but the chase is better than the catch they say...

so, you are going to see me around very often from now on!

All best

D
Dan_Rossi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/JhKX3tT9/Whats-App-Image-2021-04-18-at-20-46-39-1.jpg

There she is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: