classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Thread identification and other questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Sid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Thread identification and other questions Reply with quote

I need to buy a helicoil repair kit for the snapped off cylinder head stud on the V8 Pilot. Did UK Ford use UNC/UNF in those days, or Whitworth?
Using the thread diameter and TPI, and the thread identification chart that can be downloaded from the web I've come up with 7/16" UNC or 7/16" BSW. Both have the same criteria (0.433" diameter, 14 TPI) but obviously a different pitch.

Also, I've discovered the engine number doesn't match the log book. Although the car was manufactured in 1951, it has a 21 stud engine. I thought these were fitted to earlier Pilots, (I could, and probably am, wrong) so I'm wondering if this one has the "wrong" engine.

One last thing, am I obliged to inform DVLA of the different engine number?

Thanks in advance
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford generally used UNF/UNC, I think the only time they may have used British threads was on some parts peculiar to British built trucks. Your head stud would be a 7/16 U.N.C. The 21 stud engine is the only one used for Pilots. Although many years ago I did see an ex-police car with a 239 cubic inch (3.9 litre) 24 stud engine. The owner claimed it was original and Ford had built several of these "Police Specials". Another Pilot oddity which I have heard of but never seen was the six experimental prototypes they released for public assessment in 1947. They were fitted with a completely re-designed version of the pre-war 22 horse power engine. It wasn't very good and the government dropped the horse power tax, as a result Ford decided to stick with the old 30 horse power. A long time ago there was supposed to be one of the six 22hp Pilots in the Cheltenham area. It was off the road with a broken engine and no parts were available.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thread identification and other questions Reply with quote

Sid wrote:
One last thing, am I obliged to inform DVLA of the different engine number?

Thanks in advance

I suppose technically you *should* do, it'll probably say on their website somewhere. I would, just to keep the logbook matching the car.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: