classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old addresses for your car(s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Old addresses for your car(s) Reply with quote

Morning all,

In the Talbot thread (https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21877), I tracked down one of its former home addresses, near Brighton. Have you ever been able to find out where your car lived, and then found the address(es) via Google Streetview to see if they're still there?

I remember doing the same with the blue Minor I ran a couple of years back, fortunately it came with the old buff logbook so I was able to trace several of its former homes.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find where the first owner lived when he bought the car.

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/New%20page%2017.htm

Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine for so long that it was possible to write to the DVLA and get copies of previous keeper documents, so I have the names and addresses of all of them. I tried writing to everyone that had previously owned my Sportshatch, but didn't get any replies. I guess it was too much to expect that any would still be in the same addresses any more. The first owner of it had a name that was the same as a local business, and I've tried emailing that business a couple of times to see if it was him, and if he's still involved, but had no reply - another business with a contact form on their web site that doesn't respond. If all else fails I might actually have to phone them.

The guy who first owned my Firenza had a very short address, which basically was a house name, village, county, and I suspect the house name might have been mis-spelled - it's close enough to another town name at the other end of the country that Google usually does the old "did you mean..." and gives me different results. The first owner of my Sportshatch seems to have lived here, though it's difficult to tell on Streetview

[
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two owners of my Austin Seven both lived in Nottingham, The first location looks like it may have suffered during the war; in any case, it's now lost under a business park. The second address was presumably a large house - it's now an estate of about a dozen 1960s houses!
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject I have spent a bit of time on. My 1933 Armstrong Siddeley has had a very interesting history and I thought I had unearthed as much as I could hope for until recently when, out of the blue, someone sent me a photo of the car outside a pub in Surrey (see earlier post) which the guys on here helped to identify.
This spurred me on to try and trace its former owner and many hours of research led me to a very upmarket Mews house in London, just around the corner from Harley Street. The property still exists but is naturally now a swish desirable London pad. The owner, a Claude Preece, i have not been able to fully establish his life but he was working in the legal profession so of sufficient means to own a Siddeley early in life.
Further to this, subsequent owners have come to light from tiny snippets of information in the pile of scraps of paper in its file. One in Lewisham, street view shows the house, Dovercourt, Essex, a large bungalow, out of town with lots of sheds and land.
But the most interesting was the man who unearthed it from a barn in Shropshire in the 70's . The address was not easy to find, as with many isolated houses in the country but I had a name and a road. I discovered from street view that a B&B exists on a farm on that road and suspected this to be the home of its restoration so I wrote to the present owners who kindly replied. It was not that property, but they knew of Mr Austin Gibbons who lived in a property just half a mile away. Long since moved, and no one knows any family connections in the village but at least I know where it was.
So despite not having any buff logbooks I think I have traced most of the former keepers of this wonderful old motor.
I also had a bit of luck a few weeks ago when a member of the DLOC contacted me via Facebook to say he was former owner and operator (wedding service) of my Daimler fifteen back in 2000 and sent me a few photos pertaining to that time. All adds to the history and she is still doing sterling duty as a wedding car 20 years on. How many Brides have been taken to their wedding in this car I wonder? Could measure in the many hundreds.
Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the house or should I say Manor of the original owner of our Hillman 80 with the help of local history groups. I knew where the car was first registered and had a couple of leads on a name.

One person I found through the history group even gave me the name of the chauffuer who took care of the car. The house is still there but has subsequently been split up into seperate properties.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first owner of my E-type in September 1961 lived in Wardour Street Soho. Now very genteel and up-market, but I remember how it used to be in the day! I stopped off there a few years back one Sunday morning. I could look up on Google the other ones since I have copies of many of the V5's and the green but not brown log book.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until the 1960's the ownership papers for motor vehicles in New Zealand consisted of the names of all the previous owners. I bought a 1930 Model A Ford and found that I was the 25th owner. It had originally been a taxi cab in Wellington, then sold to a dealer who passed it to a school teacher in Wellington. It eventually, after about 5 owners left Wellington and was at Marton, Foxton and Hunterville before being owned bu a person in Wanganui where I purchased it. After nearly two years I sold it on because I had acquired better 1928 Model A, with only three previous owners!
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i bought my 57 consul a few years ago i got onto a site about reg no's which was a link from the mg club.
as i knew my cars old original reg it gave me the place it was first registered which was essex, so i went on the essex cc website and found they still had records going back to the 50's for the car registrations so i emailed them and they sent me the reg sheet for that week when my car was registered and it gave the first owners name & address in dagenham.
i googled earthed it and it shows a council house on an estate, owner long gone sadly.
now with these new privacy regs you cannot get this info anymore.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last Range Rover LSE carried the reg number L***GYM, and was Ardennes green. On ebay a couple of months after I bought it, an identical car with the number three away from mine came up. I tried to buy it but failed. Later I saw another identical car with almost the same number, and all the same window stickers as mine, and also the oval HR Owen badge. Thinking there must surely be some interesting connection here, I sent all this information to DVLA asking for any history on my car, but it was refused "for reasons of security", or some such wording. Since then I've seen another one, but this time in blue.
The RR before that was G***WAC. As any Land Rover fan will know, G***WAC numbers were issued to Land Rover, and used on pre-production Discoveries, and on all sorts of interesting RRs. My pal had a diesel one which had all sorts of little extras fitted which were not available at that time on production cars, eg ABS.
He did find some history about his G***WAC car from LR, but mine was just listed as a staff car. I did park next to my car's sister car once in Seahouses, but I've lost the photo.
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my attempt to post a picture is not working, why is it so difficult, I can drive a bulldozer . I can saw trees down,
i can rebuild engines but I cannot put picture on here.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How to upload pics.

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2454

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Penman , that is what I have been trying to no avail, never mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: