classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chrome or painted wire wheels ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Chrome or painted wire wheels ? Reply with quote

I thought I should get the opinion of contributors as to which they think are better.

I wouldn't normally have given the matter a moment's thought. Painted wire wheels have always been a better choice because they can be easily repainted, whereas chrome tends to go rusty; and no one wants to re chrome them if they do.

That was until I discovered that the spokes on today's chrome wire wheels are in fact stainless steel!

Let us assume maintenance is not an issue.

Which wheels LOOK better on an MG TC ? traditional silver painted/ powder coated .... or chrome?

PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I like the traditional painted wheels.

Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too prefer the look of painted wires, though I couldn't exactly tell you why - perhaps shiny wheels just don't look right to me, wheels by their nature tending to collect filth. I refinished some ordinary steel rims for my modern this summer and painted them black, figuring that's the colour they always end up anyway. Didn't use fancy paint either, just regular black gloss over red oxide primer, both brushed on... Laughing

Now the spokes of modern wire wheels may well be stainless steel rather than chromed; but what about the other bits? Unless the rims, nipples and hubs (is the terminology different to cycle wheels? I have no idea) are stainless too it might be a bit pointless as you'll still have chrome plating to fail.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my yoof I put chrome wires on my car. Then I grew older and wiser and realised that in the day they were an option and that most cars had painted
wires, which turned out to be stronger than the chrome ones too. Taking it one step further, many pre-1960 cars had the wheels painted body colour too, a style I find pleasing. Also, painted wires are so much easier to keep clean! No, for a TC, painted are the way to go. Chrome would look out of place.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted definitely, IMHO Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, painted every time. I particularly like wires painted in a contrasting colour, although I think for the MG silver may look best.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predictably, another vote for painted here. Much more "in period".

They do look nice when bright. Just a day or two ago I posted one of my favourite photos on a Facebook group. I had messed with the original black and white image but not as far as the wheels go.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing is that painted wheels are a fair bit cheaper to buy new.! I had a feeling that the general view would be to go for painted and given that my finances are already strained it would be logical to opt for painted regardless.

The choice is then whether to go for spray painted or powder coated?

I have read reports from people who have had their powder coated wheels chipped by the tyre fitters. This throws up a problem if the new finished wheels are not to look a bit second hand. I am not that bothered but I would be able to touch in a traditionally painted wheel easier than a powder coated one. Then again, powder coating is probably tougher to start with?
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my wheels painted but not powder coated more than 25 years ago and I have gone through countless tyre changes and puncture repairs all done by me and I end up chipping the paint every time. I do wonder if I might have been better with powder coating.

Peter
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I have read reports from people who have had their powder coated wheels chipped by the tyre fitters. This throws up a problem if the new finished wheels are not to look a bit second hand. I am not that bothered but I would be able to touch in a traditionally painted wheel easier than a powder coated one. Then again, powder coating is probably tougher to start with?

The chipping thing is a good point, and the reason I often start arguments with people who have suspension / running gear components powder coated. Can't touch it up, and if water gets behind the powder coat it takes longer to dry out (and therefore can do more damage) because it's less exposed to air.

The other thing that a mate mentioned (I have no experience of wire wheels myself, they'd look silly on my seventies or eighties cars) is that with powder coat, it can be difficult to see when a spoke has broken, because the coating masks it.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Ray White wrote:

The chipping thing is a good point, and the reason I often start arguments with people who have suspension / running gear components powder coated. Can't touch it up, and if water gets behind the powder coat it takes longer to dry out (and therefore can do more damage) because it's less exposed to air.

The other thing that a mate mentioned (I have no experience of wire wheels myself, they'd look silly on my seventies or eighties cars) is that with powder coat, it can be difficult to see when a spoke has broken, because the coating masks it.

Yes I've heard of wheels rusting behind powder coat once chipped, personally I'd have them painted then you can keep an eye on them.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the wire wheels on the '32 Chevy power-coated black, then had the tires mounted by a tire shop with good results. The two year old coating seems quite durable and has a nice finish that suits the era. I've found powder-coating shops more willing to work on vintage equipment than paint shops.

Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I want to replace the original wheels is that I have all new hubs and I fear they would soon be ruined as the splines in the wheels are worn (due to the car's competition history). The general view seems to be that new ones are the way to go.

I suppose I will have to live with whatever finish they come with. Having said that, I have a preferred silver paint which I could use if I am particularly unhappy.

Incidentally, I am not whinging but I will have to leave tyre fitting to the experts as I suffer from weak and painful fingers. Flipping nuisance!!!
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Incidentally, I am not whinging but I will have to leave tyre fitting to the experts as I suffer from weak and painful fingers. Flipping nuisance!!!

I know it's possible to take off and put on these large diameter tyres without levers but it's much easier with them.

Peter Laughing
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted Smile

I wouldn't go near stainless steel spokes, unless you like replacing spokes! I'm surprised on safety grounds that anyone makes SS wire wheels.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: