classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Would you take on a partially restored classic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Would you take on a partially restored classic? Reply with quote

I replied to Peter L's topic in the General Collectables Section where I gave a brief account of taking on a partially restored 1968 Jaguar "S" Type and the tales of woe that entailed.
I was only 36 years old at the time but I have to admit that all the car's parts were present and I had to find nothing obscure or missing bar a replacement interior which at the time was quite easy.
"S" Types were still being broken then and word of mouth found me a complete interior in red leather from a time expired 1965 car. I suspect that the quest would not be so easy now.

I knew of a few people who bought partly restored ex USA MGAs and even then in the 1990s the sourcing of missing parts and right hand drive conversions components, dashboards and so on was a nightmare.

Others who bought ex USA Kharmann Ghias had an easier time even if a costly one.

There was one chap locally who bought a partially restored Triumph TR5 and the sourcing of missing parts nearly drove him to distraction. It took him nearly four years sorting out the previous owner's "bodges" and he admitted to me that it would have cost him less to have bought a good original or properly restored car.

Some people are lucky though. One enthusiast I know bought a partially restored and incomplete car for very little money, an abandoned restoration Morrris Mini Cooper 1071 "S". He bided his time and eventually found in the depths of mid Wales an identical 1963 example which was complete but beyond saving.
I suspect he paid more for this than his first car but the result was an excellent 1071 "S" which now lives in Osaka.

Your opinions good people.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have. From a previous eBay advert, and I stress not the advert or person I bought it from, and when it was much more expensive, the listing said

"HAS HAD SOME WORK EG: WELDING . HAS BEEN RUBBED DOWN READY FOR SOME PRIMER IN PLACES"

That sounds alright, doesn't it? Some of the work has been done, just do the rest, finish and paint, then stick it back together, right? Wrong.

So far, I haven't found any welding that was done in a good way, and virtually all the "repair sections" that have been fabricated are the wrong shape. Bits have been left out, sections made to approximate shape and then filled to get them a bit closer, key sections (like the gearbox crossmember mounting holes and the metalwork that the front wing fixes on to) just aren't there. It's taking far more time to neatly remove the previous work than it is to repair it properly. I have a list of parts that are missing, and although most of them are common to other cars of the same shell, they are proving difficult to find.

Still, at least it'll go back on the road at some point, instead of just going back on eBay or being broken.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis, good to see you back posting.
I bought a land rover lightweight failed project years back, got it at the right money and started from scratch.
Did the same with a pre65 B44 motorcycle, as long as expectations are low it’s worked out fine for me.

Regards

Kev
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, do you mind my asking what make and model of car you have bought please?

Thank you for your comment, Kevin. Yes, it's been a while since I actively posted on here.

Long story....................

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tended to avoid part-restored or dismantled vehicles, simply because there are always missing parts (usually the small fiddly bits that are easy to lose, and hard to track down). But if it was something really interesting, I'd not rule it out. But right now I think I have enough to do. Maybe.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
Mike, do you mind my asking what make and model of car you have bought please?

It's another Vauxhall Sportshatch. The seller said if it didn't sell that weekend, he'd break it for spares, and I fell for it. Still, it gives me something to do.
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:

It's another Vauxhall Sportshatch. The seller said if it didn't sell that weekend, he'd break it for spares, and I fell for it. Still, it gives me something to do.

There can't be many in existence , 23 according to HOW MANY LEFT in 2020 including those licensed and sorned.
There will be a few more I presume, but not many.

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right - when we had the 40th anniversary get-together for them, four turned up, but mine wasn't back on the road then, so it wasn't there. There are quite a few about in various states of restoration which may not be on HML, for example my recent project had been off the road since 1988 so it was neither taxed nor on SORN. I've just been reading about one in a field in Derbyshire, for example, and there was one sitting in a garage on the Welsh border for years which has been rescued but not seen since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: