classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - saw that and edited it. Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of moving things around today, taking advantage of the reasonably good weather, all being well I'll continue tomorrow and maybe fire up the Fergie which hasn't run in a while.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the Commer again as it was nice weather out, she started very well and sat ticking over on choke for about 10 mins. We tried her again a little while later and found the starter stuck, this has happened 4 or 5 times now.

Each time we have to remove the starter to free it. This time with the starter out we checked the starter ring teeth, a check then crank her over a little ion the handle and check again etc. I can say now that the ring teeth are in awful condition, in one place over about 3 inches the teeth were reduced to just sharp spikes. No wonder the starter is having problems.

So decision made, replace the starter ring. A big job yes but essential in her starting correctly.

It will be another call to Speedy Spares.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my records show I haven't run it since April, I thought I'd run the Sportshatch today. It started after a bit of persuasion, but there were a couple of fuel leaks from pipe unions which disappeared after tightening the clips. It also seems to be leaking a little where the pump joins the engine block, so I'll have to look at that as, if fuel is getting there, it will be going into the oil.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a patch of oil on the drive under the 2CV after a brisk drive recently, so spent the afternoon trying to work out whether this is an actual leak, possibly from the crankcase to cylinder head oil feed union, or just the aftermath of a recent oil change where things backed up somewhat and overflowed the filler into the depths of the engine bay when pouring. The front of the engine was still fairly well oiled!
Hard to tell, so I dismantled the fan assembly and cleaned the front of the engine off. I will revisit when it has dried off tomorrow or Saturday, and run the engine to see what happens!
Boring Tucson SUV
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started to tackle removing the gearbox and bellhousing from the Commer today.

It took two hours to simply remove 6 fixing bolts around the bellhousing. This was mainly due to access and two of them simply not budging. Needless to say its all still in place and we go again at it next weekend!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Found a patch of oil on the drive under the 2CV after a brisk drive recently, so spent the afternoon trying to work out whether this is an actual leak, possibly from the crankcase to cylinder head oil feed union, or just the aftermath of a recent oil change where things backed up somewhat and overflowed the filler into the depths of the engine bay when pouring. The front of the engine was still fairly well oiled!
Hard to tell, so I dismantled the fan assembly and cleaned the front of the engine off. I will revisit when it has dried off tomorrow or Saturday, and run the engine to see what happens!

Aren't they prone to leaking around/from the oil pressure switch? Just a vague recollection.

RJ
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, prone to leaking from all sorts of places, pressure switch, pushrod tubes and the oil feed from the crankcase to the cylinder heads which is an external pipe connected by banjo joints at each end....and also the front crank seal. Because it is air cooled, the fan blasts it all backwards across the bottom of the engine and it then drips off anywhere and it is the very devil to locate its origin.
Most do leak from somewhere, I was worried that the cylinder head oil feed pipe that I had replaced a few months ago, had sprung a leak at one of the joints.
However, I cleaned everywhere and then let it run whilst I went and made a cup of tea and it was still as clean as a whistle when I got back, so I concluded that it was the oil that I had spilled at a recent oil change that had finally run down and dripped off the sump fins.
Boring Tucson SUV

Last edited by norustplease on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued work on the Commer this morning. Still working on getting the gearbox out to replace the starter ring.

Was on my own today, usually Father joins me on a Sunday morning. I managed to remove the propshaft without damage to myself or the layrub couplings.
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been trying to separate a crankshaft from my old Armstrong Siddeley fifteen engine from its flywheel. Many attempts over the past six months, including using a ridiculous amount of calor gas in a burner to warm up the flywheel , then hanging the shift vertically and giving the flywheel a serious amount of clouting with a large lump hammer and blocks of timber. Nothing shifted it so I just stuck it in the corner of the garage again by the door.
Last week the engine builder asked me to send down the spare crank so I had to dig it out again.
Would you believe, I picked up the crank which was stood up vertical with the flywheel on the floor, and it just fell off!
Well, one problem solved...
Peter
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I restored my Chrysler fifteen or so years ago, I found the universals very badly worn. The universals were early Hardy-Spicer joints that did not contain roller bearings. The four ends simply rotated in the yokes, which over seventy five years had worn loose.

I had the yokes bored out to accept modern Hardy-Spicer joints with needle roller bearings. Unfortunately, because of the larger diameter, the holes broke out of the yoke. After some soul searching I decided to put the lot together and see how it went.

After many thousands of kilometres, the yokes have started to distort and have permitted movement in the joints, causing the car to vibrate badly. My poor decision at that time has come back to bite me on the bum. Now its time to bite the bullet.

I spent yesterday removing the tailshaft and after a serious measuring session, went and bought a second hand rear tailshaft from a Toyota Landcruiser. This is shorter than the original shaft, so a friend is making me up a couple of adaptor spacers to join the four bolt fixings of the universal yokes to the six stud flanges on the car.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
When I restored my Chrysler fifteen or so years ago, I found the universals very badly worn. The universals were early Hardy-Spicer joints that did not contain roller bearings. The four ends simply rotated in the yokes, which over seventy five years had worn loose.

I had the yokes bored out to accept modern Hardy-Spicer joints with needle roller bearings. Unfortunately, because of the larger diameter, the holes broke out of the yoke. After some soul searching I decided to put the lot together and see how it went.

After many thousands of kilometres, the yokes have started to distort and have permitted movement in the joints, causing the car to vibrate badly. My poor decision at that time has come back to bite me on the bum. Now its time to bite the bullet.

I spent yesterday removing the tailshaft and after a serious measuring session, went and bought a second hand rear tailshaft from a Toyota Landcruiser. This is shorter than the original shaft, so a friend is making me up a couple of adaptor spacers to join the four bolt fixings of the universal yokes to the six stud flanges on the car.

Keith

An interesting problem, Keith. I presume the cost of sourcing replacements from the USA would be prohibitive?
I thought I would need to do a similar thing with the MG because the new rear springs had set the axle slightly forward. Fortunately, with the 5 speed gearbox (Ford T9) the prop has a long spline on it and it fitted O.K.

The only worry I have is that with the axle is pushed forward - even if only 1/2" - it could make rear wheel removal from the arch difficult. On some cars especially with new tyres, the tyre has to be deflated.

It's that 1/16" rule again !
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan is to removecthe wooden body of our Commer Q2 and rebuild it separately to the truck itself. This morning I have started the task of cleaning/oiling and removing 80 odd year old U bolts securing the body.

They are not playing ball as you can imagine.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to change the thermostat on my modern(ish) today. A new top hose was fitted a couple of months ago but I chickened out of trying to remove the two bolts holding the thermostat housing to the alloy water pump housing (Jeep Hemi), envisaging at least one of the bolts shearing off when I try to remove them.

But in a bid to try and raise the running coolant temperature (the LPG isn't kicking in as it should), I decided, finally, to swap the thermostat.

Needless to say, one of the two bolts sheared straight off, presumably having been overtightened in the past. The other one was fine. Fortunately the location of the bolt in the housing allows access to the rear face of the casting, so I was able to drill out the old bolt, and open it up a little to accept a replacement nut and bolt instead.

It's all back together now, the temperature hasn't altered so I'll book it in with the LPG place to have it plugged in and tweaked via his laptop.

It must now be the only Jeep driving around with 1/4" Whitworth fixings on its engine.

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

It must now be the only Jeep driving around with 1/4" Whitworth fixings on its engine.

RJ

Wink That's what you call a coarse thread.

(the bolt, I mean!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 72 of 119

Jump to: