classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

too good to scrap..yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Author Message
Clactonguy



Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 86
Location: clacton on sea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: too good to scrap..yet! Reply with quote

inherited a Nissan Micra 1.2 auto . engine blew a gasket and though replaced with new timing belt etc now has very high blow by ( will fail MOT) .body work is too good to just scrap car (1992 I think) with no rust found and just a few spots but no blisters or holes. paintwork excellent and interior not bad with 80K being shown and a 2 owner car. might pull cyl head off in next few weeks and visually check bores as suspect scored/scuffed on 3/4. comp test showed ok with 3 and 4 40pis lower (scored bores? . if possible will remove pistons and hone bores in situ plus use new rings. otherwise its a rebore and new pitons! sheesh.. checked and though we can still get for the Mk 1 (K10 engine) they Arte over 75 each /add in ring .cost of a rebore and its simply economically mad to invest as car will never be a collectors choice or worth much more than a few hundred at best. bene looking at Ebay etc for a used but decent k10 engine.. looks like rocking horse droppings at moment. Oh well will keep car for a while just in case but summer will need garage again. wishing everybody a good year and happy motoring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
norustplease



Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 664
Location: Lancashire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not so valuable now, but these cars will appreciate in time and if you can preserve a decent one, then it will be worthwhile in the long run. Too many more recent everyday cars end up at the scrapyard to my mind. Everyone wants to preserve the performance versions of cars, but not the everyday stuff that was the mainstay of the motoring public. In some respects these are of more historic value than some of the go faster stuff, being more representative of where we were as a society at a point in history than the luxury and sports models of the day.
There is a green issue as well and a lot of cars that could be brought back to life and be fit to use as regular transport are dumped unnecessarily in favour of more environment hungry new cars.
_________________
1953 Citroen Traction
1964 Volvo PV544
1961 Wolseley 1500
Boring Tucson SUV


Last edited by norustplease on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alastairq



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Posts: 1596
Location: East Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree..
Too much emphasis is placed on 'value' these days.

Nothing is going to be 'worth' the money, time & effort put into getting a thing back up to scratch.
If recouping expenditure is important, don't mess with old cars or old bikes or old washing machines.

If one simply loves the joy of making something work again, or giving it a new lease of life, what price that joy?
_________________
Dellow Mk2, 1951 built, reg 1952.
Ford Mustang coupe, 1967, 6 cylinder auto.
Fiat 126 BIS
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21897
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Maybe not so valuable now, but these cars will appreciate in time and if you can preserve a decent one, then it will be worthwhile in the long run. Too many more recent everyday cars end up at the scrapyard to my mind. Everyone wants to preserve the performance versions of cars, but not the everyday stuff that was the mainstay of the motoring public. In some respects these are of more historic value than some of the go faster stuff, being more representative of where we were as a society at a point in history than he luxury and sports models of the day.
There is a green issue as well and a lot of cars that could be brought back to life and be fit to use as regular transport are dumped unnecessarily in favour of more environment hungry new cars.


Agreed, it's the bog-standard models that people will relate to in years to come. Take the Sierra for example, few people owned a Cosworth back in the day yet those are the ones being saved in the main. How many of the plain-jane, low rung rep-mobile, versions (the one without wheel trims, and the grey plastic front panel) will have survived?

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 4324
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
norustplease wrote:
Maybe not so valuable now, but these cars will appreciate in time and if you can preserve a decent one, then it will be worthwhile in the long run. Too many more recent everyday cars end up at the scrapyard to my mind. Everyone wants to preserve the performance versions of cars, but not the everyday stuff that was the mainstay of the motoring public. In some respects these are of more historic value than some of the go faster stuff, being more representative of where we were as a society at a point in history than he luxury and sports models of the day.
There is a green issue as well and a lot of cars that could be brought back to life and be fit to use as regular transport are dumped unnecessarily in favour of more environment hungry new cars.


Agreed, it's the bog-standard models that people will relate to in years to come. Take the Sierra for example, few people owned a Cosworth back in the day yet those are the ones being saved in the main. How many of the plain-jane, low rung rep-mobile, versions (the one without wheel trims, and the grey plastic front panel) will have survived?

RJ


I am sure you are right. Just because I disliked the look of the Sierra (jelly mould) doesn't mean they will not be sought after when they have all but become extinct.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TriumphDriver



Joined: 22 Jan 2021
Posts: 6
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Everyone wants to preserve the performance versions of cars, but not the everyday stuff that was the mainstay of the motoring public. In some respects these are of more historic value than some of the go faster stuff, being more representative of where we were as a society at a point in history than he luxury and sports models of the day.


I really agree, but fell foul of Practical Classics magazine contributors recently for daring to suggest that they, along with other programmes such as Wheeler Dealers, were responsible to a certain extent for endlessly promoting XR3s, GTis and the like for years over the 'boring' family stuff. For years all we got was 'speed, speed, speed' and the cars were always photographed on racetracks or aerodromes. The cars we all remember were written off as 'boring' and 'staid' which is probably the reason I walk past all the go-faster stuff at shows, to find the ones I really remember.
_________________
Still learning after all these years...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
welder



Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 265
Location: North Warwickshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: too good to scrap..yet! Reply with quote

Clactonguy wrote:
inherited a Nissan Micra 1.2 auto . engine blew a gasket and though replaced with new timing belt etc now has very high blow by ( will fail MOT) .body work is too good to just scrap car (1992 I think) with no rust found and just a few spots but no blisters or holes. paintwork excellent and interior not bad with 80K being shown and a 2 owner car. might pull cyl head off in next few weeks and visually check bores as suspect scored/scuffed on 3/4. comp test showed ok with 3 and 4 40pis lower (scored bores? . if possible will remove pistons and hone bores in situ plus use new rings. otherwise its a rebore and new pitons! sheesh.. checked and though we can still get for the Mk 1 (K10 engine) they Arte over 75 each /add in ring .cost of a rebore and its simply economically mad to invest as car will never be a collectors choice or worth much more than a few hundred at best. bene looking at Ebay etc for a used but decent k10 engine.. looks like rocking horse droppings at moment. Oh well will keep car for a while just in case but summer will need garage again. wishing everybody a good year and happy motoring.


Just a thought. Have you checked the valve clearances?

Ian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lowdrag



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Posts: 1480
Location: Le Mans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collectable or not (especially since it is an auto) I applaud you for saving the car. During lockdown I have looked at cars I have had and they don't exist any more. My Opel Ascona, my Manta hatch - so few left. I had a quick look on the Bay and there are complete engines from 200 around. Might that be a solution?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeEdwards



Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 2094
Location: South Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Agreed, it's the bog-standard models that people will relate to in years to come.


Indeed, I used to be on another forum which was dedicated to the more standard vehicles. Their "spotted" thread was more about standard-spec vehicles, and not so much about the more popular variants.

In my Vauxhall world, the "special" cars like the HP Firenza and Sportshatch have survived in greater percentages than the more normal Viva / Firenza / Magnum models, leading to a situation where something like an 1800 Magnum coupe or estate is now much rarer. We've got one forum member who says he has the only surviving Magnum 1800 2-door saloon, for example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
consul 57



Joined: 09 Nov 2017
Posts: 331
Location: somerset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriumphDriver wrote:
norustplease wrote:
Everyone wants to preserve the performance versions of cars, but not the everyday stuff that was the mainstay of the motoring public. In some respects these are of more historic value than some of the go faster stuff, being more representative of where we were as a society at a point in history than he luxury and sports models of the day.


I really agree, but fell foul of Practical Classics magazine contributors recently for daring to suggest that they, along with other programmes such as Wheeler Dealers, were responsible to a certain extent for endlessly promoting XR3s, GTis and the like for years over the 'boring' family stuff. For years all we got was 'speed, speed, speed' and the cars were always photographed on racetracks or aerodromes. The cars we all remember were written off as 'boring' and 'staid' which is probably the reason I walk past all the go-faster stuff at shows, to find the ones I really remember.

i agree with you, i ten to skip past the go faster stuff, not really been a fast car enthusiast, if you want the thrill of going fast buy a big bike, much more thrilling. your normal boring old family cars are in the main what most of us had or were driven in, the one that got banger raced in the day, sporty models will always be more valuable but now only deep pockets can buy many of them!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 4324
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder why the Ford Corsair 1500 GT disappeared. It was a stylish, practical family saloon with a nice turn of speed. To my mind the ideal compromise. They are now very rare indeed!

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/events/cca-june-2016-classic-car-sale/cca-june-2016-classic-car-sale-sale/cca-june-2016-classic-car-sale-sale-session/1965-ford-corsair-1500gt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Forum T&C


php BB powered © php BB Grp.