classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Serial Hillman Imp owner's story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Serial Hillman Imp owner's story Reply with quote

I think many people will be able to relate to this story in some way

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/hillman-imp-collector-time-he-bought-classic-car-pack-20-marlboro-3135762

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a Singer Chamois as her daily driver for many years, it was a great little car and reliable, until our daughter passed her test. We gave her the Chamois, I don't know what she did but I had to change the clutch so many times I could do the job in twenty minutes
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little Ginetta G15 had the Sunbeam Imp Sport engine and never gave me any trouble. The only unreliable thing in the car was the speedo drive gearbox at the front wheel. It used to get knocked off when the front suspension hit its limits.

Peter
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Presumably your Ginetta didn't have the pneumatic throttle.

My Volvo 340 had a front wheel driven speedo, but that didn't use a gearbox, the inner cable passed through the centre of the stub axle and the squared end was driven by the grease cap on the outside having a square hole in it.
A very simple little idea.
Of course being rear wheel drive it meant that you didn't get any indication of wheel spin from the speedo, but the speedo cable was a lot shorter vthann it would have had to be if it had been connected to the finaldrive section of the transaxle.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Presumably your Ginetta didn't have the pneumatic throttle.

Only the very first Imps (first year, 1963) had that pneumatic throttle. While a good idea the bad quality of the components made it unreliable. Ginettas were from the seventies so never would have had a pneumatic throttle.

Penman wrote:
My Volvo 340 had a front wheel driven speedo, but that didn't use a gearbox, the inner cable passed through the centre of the stub axle and the squared end was driven by the grease cap on the outside having a square hole in it.
A very simple little idea.
Of course being rear wheel drive it meant that you didn't get any indication of wheel spin from the speedo, but the speedo cable was a lot shorter vthann it would have had to be if it had been connected to the finaldrive section of the transaxle.

Same as the Hillman Imp, was also driven by a pin in the grease cap so nothing new here!
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Lane is someone who writes a lot about his changes and upgrades to his Chamois and Van, both on Facebook and the Imp Club Forum. His cars are in great condition. Fascinating with a very good eye on detail. Although lately he seems to be out of ideas to improve so resorts to less interesting things such as fitting blue lighting and so on.

The weather is nice today and promising for the next week, above 15 degrees. I need to get the my Chamois out of the shed and take it for a drive. Same kind of Chamois as Dave has although without the black bonnet (which I do not like about his car).

Picture is from 21 years ago. The Minx has been sold a few years ago.

peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

Yes, the Ginetta was similar. It used Triumph Herald front suspension that wasn't designed to take the drilled stub axle. A little right angle drive was screwed to the back end of the axle but there wasn't enough clearance between it and the spring.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: