classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Memories of the 70's and the winter of discontent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Memories of the 70's and the winter of discontent Reply with quote

I know when all this happened i was nowt but a lad, doing my homework by candle light at the kitchen table but clearing out father in laws papers I came across fuel ration books and, oddly Corporate ration vouchers, issued by Derbyshire CC education department. It would appear these were never needed. I think the crisis was over by the time we got into 1974?

Anyhow, interesting memorabilia.

https://flic.kr/p/2kDrz6t
https://flic.kr/p/2kDr4kW
https://flic.kr/p/2kDr4kR
https://flic.kr/p/2kDryXT

Last edited by petelang on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I remember them issuing petrol ration books for that, but fortunately we didn't have to use them, because the quantity allowed would have been insufficient for the driving school usage.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winter of discontent was the winter of 78/79, I remember it because in Sept 78 I got a Saturday job in a high st store, and in that winter if we didn't have something in stock we blamed it on the lorry drivers strike!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I remember more was the hyper inflation at 27%, searching through supermarket shelves to find the cheaper cans etc at the back, and especially mortgage rates going up to 15%.
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Winter of Discontent was in 1978/79 and I have memories of the time that I do not look back on with any pleasure.
With many transport companies on strike or picketted I was obliged to make a weekly journey from North Wales to the Enfield Industrial Estate in North London to collect to collect supplies for my business at the time.

Starting off at 2.00AM and reaching the North Circular around 6.00AM could be a frightening experience with strikers standing around braziers harrassing lorry and van drivers.
I hired an unmarked Bedford CF every week and entering the Enfield Industrial Estate could be an unnerving experience. The van was never stoned but was spat upon and all doors locked to prevent attempted access which did happen.

Fortunately I was shown an indirect route to the part I needed after two unpleasant journeys.

Equally as frightening were two journeys to the Romsey Industrial Estate near Southampton. I saw one driver physically hauled from his truck and beaten. Many thought The Revolution had started. North Wales was a haven of relative peace at the time.

Mob violence is truly appalling to behold.

Let's hope those days are over forever.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that when my employer lost power we went skiing but we eventually got a diesel generator although it was a bit marginal.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petelang. You are thinking of the Miner's strike. Ted Heath's Government and the N.U.M were in a pay dispute that led to the three day week. That was when the power was switched off and we did our homework by candlelight.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: miners strike. Reply with quote

don't think it was just about pay but more about closing down mines that were uneconomical to keep open. Heaths government capitulated but when it kicks doff again Thatchers was ready and took on miners union that under Scargill thought it could (again) control things.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: miners strike. Reply with quote

Clactonguy wrote:
don't think it was just about pay but more about closing down mines that were uneconomical to keep open. Heaths government capitulated but when it kicks doff again Thatchers was ready and took on miners union that under Scargill thought it could (again) control things.

Not to get political but history shows that the coal mines were not the problem but were closed to weaken the power of the Miners Union. It was more a political power struggle than economic justification. Weaken the power base of the Unions and undermine the Labour Party. Made perfect sense to Thatcher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: