classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Where to obtain a quality car horn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Where to obtain a quality car horn? Reply with quote

This should be very easy, with Ebay positively bristling with relatively inexpensive and simple car horns. But I'm now needing my third horn since restoring the car, as they don't seem to last more than two years. In fact, the most recent one had its life extended to two years by soldering a couple of short lengths of cable onto the terminals, once the frail, original spade terminals had corroded away.

One of the problems is that the horn is necessarily exposed to road-crud on my car, so I need something which either has a sealed plug or compartment for connecting the wires, or comes with a couple of electrical wires already attached.

I hope someone has a recommendation.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought India would be a good source of hard wearing horns given the amount of use they get over there Smile

I was looking at some "older styled" metal horns on Bangood:

https://uk.banggood.com/search/car-horn.html?from=nav

All made in China of course Sad

Contralube 770 is a great product for protecting exposed electrical connectors, but its got very expensive in recent years:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/827/category/154
Dave
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colwyn500
Sorry, I don't recall your car, but if you're looking for something 'classic', I'd seek out a 50's/60's Lucas. They're pretty simple & rugged & most can be over-hauled or tuned quite easily.
Whatever you choose, a little di-electric grease on the connections should keep corrosion at bay.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Contralube 770 is a great product for protecting exposed electrical connectors, but its got very expensive in recent years:

MVPeters wrote:

Whatever you choose, a little di-electric grease on the connections should keep corrosion at bay.

Thank-you both....I've had a tube of Contralube for a couple of years now and always use it on electrical contacts; it even helped when I dismantled the ignition-switch recently, when poor contacts were affecting the ignition warning supply.

PS. It's a Fiat 500. Smile

The thing with most of the horns available is that the terminals corrode whatever you do; to the point where they just fall off. The best I've seen is on my VW T4, which uses a special, sealed plug-connector at the horn; I'll try to source a connector and then go for that type of horn.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A known problem sadly. Ater many years I bought the low and high for the E-type from, I think, SNG Barratt and they are good quality. I know I had a bit of a problem sourcing them, but there are many other parts suppliers such as Manners, Robey, Norman Motors, and so on. Again from memory, about £50 each. Of them all, I'd try Norman Motors first. HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: