classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What car/bike did you taken your test in/on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to drive in a Hillman Minx with a column gear change and took my test in an Austin A40 mk2

Morris 8 two seater
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My UK licence was up to 7.5 tons and any bike, but when I moved to France and exchanged it for a french one it came back as quite a shock. They couldn't understand the codes so gave me lock stock and barrel. I am now entitled to drive any HGV and it even includes a school bus with trailer if I want! Moreover, it is for life with no medical requirements.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
My UK licence was up to 7.5 tons and any bike, but when I moved to France and exchanged it for a french one it came back as quite a shock. They couldn't understand the codes so gave me lock stock and barrel. I am now entitled to drive any HGV and it even includes a school bus with trailer if I want! Moreover, it is for life with no medical requirements.

And yet it was the UK standardising to EU regs which has resulted in us losing the 7500 kg and Minibus at age 70 unless we have the vocational medicals.

Mind you France also allows banned drivers to drive a VSP without a licence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35210572

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Penman"]
lowdrag wrote:

And yet it was the UK standardising to EU regs which has resulted in us losing the 7500 kg and Minibus at age 70 unless we have the vocational medicals.

Mind you France also allows banned drivers to drive a VSP without a licence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35210572

The more I live in France the more I understand the need for the "voiturette". Like you, I was completely against it because we, the Brits, didn't know about it. But by the same token I haven't actually researched what the french think of registering a Bond Bug! You have to understand that this story about the voiturette being a "car for the drunk driver" is much over-exaggerated. The same population, but France is five times bigger. Widows living in the depths of the country need to get to the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, and really this is the only way. Of course it will die out one of these days, but I know a few people who would be hard pressed to live reasonably without one of them. And they are ruddy expensive too!
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lowdrag

I suppose in a way it is a follow on from the motorised pedal cycles which I believe youngsters could ride without licences from an earlier age than the 16yrs old which was/is the UK earliest for a moped, but has to have a licence.

The remoteness aspect was/is used in some of the US states in order to allow younger teens some independence mobility wise.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Driving Tests Reply with quote

I took my bike test in 1954 at Macclesfield Cheshire on a Vincent Firefly 48cc which allowed me to ride any bikes!
I took my car test in 1955 in a 1936 Austin 10 Cambridge also at Macclesfield.
Passed both first time.
Still driving, 1938 Morris 8 Ser II Coupe Utility (pickup), a Rover SD1 VDP V8 only 33,000km from new, and my everyday car a Ford Falcon G6E Turbo (3.9 litre).
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat my bike test on a Heinkel Tourist 175cc four stroke. I sat my car test in my big sister's Ford Prefect.

Peter
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I delivered the Honolulu Star Bulletin newspaper in Hawaii when I was 12 to 14 back in the '60's. I used a Solex moped. The test was me driving around while the tester just watched, hand signals and complete stops took about 10 minutes. I passed.
I got my learners permit in a 1958 Chevy Nomad wagon when I was 14 . I worked all summer and bought my first car a 1954 Dodge Royal Red Ram 2 door sedan. I was the first kid in my class in high school to have my own car. I sold the car when we moved back to the mainland for $300 more then I paid ($600) good times
Hank
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was living in New Zealand when I first got my license. It was in 1962. I asked a driving school, and when the instructor arrived, and I drove the first part of the street, I was asked "Have you had a license before?" I said, no, but I had driven a tractor a fair bit, and had showed a chap, much older than me, how to drive a Model T Ford.

With that, I was asked to drive into the township and successfully negotiated traffic and traffic lights, then the instructor told me to park in front of a building, and got out, When he returned, He said I've booked you in for your test tomorrow! I passed with ease.

A few months later, I went for my Heavy Trade Motor license in a 3 ton Canadian Military Pattern truck. I had only driven the truck on farms over the last 3 weeks, then driven about 10 miles on the road back to town. The testing officer had me drive up a hill, back into a driveway and finish by just driving around the block.

I was quite unaware at the time, that learner drivers sometime had to have many lessons and often failed on their first attempts.

Those were the days!! Dane.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my car test I thought the examiner was a little unkind because for reading the distant number plate he chose a one with broken characters on it. Fortunately I read it correctly and got my licence. (With a "c" not like Dane who got an American style one with an "s". Wink )

Peter.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I do spell using the 'c' and then my computer decides it is wrong! I get rather fed up with the USA creeping into our lives!!
Sid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learnt and took my test in a 1963 Ford Corsair. And it was raining so the examiner told me not to bother with hand signals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: