classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Humber Sceptre rear diff leaking oil into drum brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Red Piglet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Humber Sceptre rear diff leaking oil into drum brakes Reply with quote

Hi guys.
Got a 1965 mk1 Sceptre.
Rear diff is leaking oil into the drum brakes.
How difficult is it to replace seals?
Any good YouTube video?
Where would I buy new seals?
Thankyou.

Humber Sceptre mk1. 1965
VW T3 Syncro 2.5, 1986
Honda 250 rally. 2017
Plain Jane Goldwing 1000 project. 1976.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for seals maybe try Speedy Spares, I've not used them but I hear they have stocks of Rootes parts.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Farmer John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Humber Sceptre Reply with quote

Hi there. I think that in that year you would have a sealed bearing there which is what you will need to replace, because they do leak.
Two things, firstly there will be a rear axle breather that must be kept clear. Do whatever is necessary to ensure it is clear. Second, the oil level needs to be no higher than 12mm below the level plug thread. It will not matter at 19mm below if you like.
Changing the bearing is simple, it is the equipment that you might need that complicates the process.
Unscrew the brakeline, remove the handbrake clevis, remove the brake drum and unbolt the back plate. Now the axle will pull out but it will need a shock. If you have a decent slide hammer that might do it but usually it requires a decent chain bolted to the axle and a weight on the other end of the chain that that can be swung away from the car. They are not very tight but you cannot get at it with your big hammer.
The bearing will need to be removed which can be done with a disc grinder and cold chisel but it is simpler and neater in a press and you will need a press to fit the new bearing. You could fit the new bearing with an appropriate piece of thick walled pipe and drift the bearing down the axle but it is critical that the end of the pipe is perfectly square to keep the bearing perfectly straight.
One thing, if you are not used to mechanical repairs or do not like taking risks then by all means take the brake shoes and wheel cylinder off the backplate first.
John
Red Piglet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for advice and full description guys. Owner said he topped up diff oil for sale, so maybe he has over filled.
Is it easy to check? Just dip pinky through? Lol

Humber Sceptre mk1. 1965
VW T3 Syncro 2.5, 1986
Honda 250 rally. 2017
Plain Jane Goldwing 1000 project. 1976.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: